Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This is a really silly question, but I cannot find a reference anywhere on the Internet or in the few books I have to hand as to what periods are correct for LMS red livery on locos, and when black is correct. My layout is NW brancj orientated, so I'm not bothered about the glamour machines, just things like the Hornby Jinty and the Airfix Fowler. There's a superb website with chapter and verse for all these things on the GWR, but nothing can see for LMS. Can anyone help, please? Many thanks.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (hendre @ 24 Jun 2008, 04:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all

This is a really silly question, but I cannot find a reference anywhere on the Internet or in the few books I have to hand as to what periods are correct for LMS red livery on locos, and when black is correct. My layout is NW brancj orientated, so I'm not bothered about the glamour machines, just things like the Hornby Jinty and the Airfix Fowler. There's a superb website with chapter and verse for all these things on the GWR, but nothing can see for LMS. Can anyone help, please? Many thanks.

** Quite soon after the 1928 grouping crimson lake was resricted to only first line passenger locomotives, so 4p compounds and larger were Lake but all passenger tanks and smaller passenger loco's became lined black. The Jinty was always black and never anything else. The Fowlers were only Crimson lake for the very very early years after the grouping and became lined black (black with fine red line) in the early 30's as a rough guide. During the war repaints were plain black and after the "new" lined black was used... with a few exceptions still in lake.

There is an excellent book enititled LMS Liveries by Jenkins and Essery if you need chapter and verse on this. The LMS Society also has an excellent website.

Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - very useful info. I knew it must be out there, just couldn't find it. The Essery and Jenkins book is just what I was looking for.

I should also have said, in case anyone else is interested in this topic and as clueless as I, that there's a good site foro LMS goods liveries, and most things other than loco colours, at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/6-livy/lms/9-lms.htm.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The lower part of the tender with the Railroad Patriot, Illustrious is unlined (unlike the Bachmann version). Does anybody know if this is prototypically correct? I was thinking of buying it, but the lack of lining is somewhat dissappoining, and I wonder if it is perhaps a 'post-war' livery or something like that....

http://www.hornby.com/railroad-145/r2936/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts