Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my latest project. I have a surplus of Airfix Suburbans, so armed with drawings I decided to do some conversions. Here is work in progress on a Suburban Brake 3rd and a Suburban Composite.
View attachment 1037

The donor coach was a damaged one. I intend to continue producing a Push Pull Brake 3rd and a complete LMS Watford electric set.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help!

I've come to the stage of painting and have hit a snag. I want to paint these coaches the early BR red which was used on Suburban stock into the 1950s. I believe it is not the same shade as the blood used on the blood & custard corridor coaches - can anybody advise a suitable shade?

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
I think they were crimson red but dont quote me!
Im looking for LMS suburbans my self, Do you know of anywhere that stocks kits or RTR?
Steve

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are currently no RTR LMS suburbans available on the market. Airfix did a Lavatory Composite and Lavatory Brake 3rd a long time ago. Graham Farish also did suburbans in the dim and distant past. Why Airfix chose the comparatively rare Lavatory version we shall never know, but as you can see a surplus of these has caused me to do some 'bashing'. Sacrificing a damaged composite can create up to six proper suburban composites or brake 3rds.

You can pick up the Airfix ones on Ebay at a reasonable price.

As for kits, I know there are various etched sides available and am sure other contributors to the forum will advise.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Nice work - I look forward to seeing them painted and lined

Richard

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 27 Jan 2009, 08:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Help!

I've come to the stage of painting and have hit a snag. I want to paint these coaches the early BR red which was used on Suburban stock into the 1950s. I believe it is not the same shade as the blood used on the blood & custard corridor coaches - can anybody advise a suitable shade?

Let us know what you discover. Unfortunately I am in an airport lounge and far too far away from my Essery book on LMS coaching stock to check for you however I am sure you will be able to ascertain this colour for yourself. Someone will know.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Progress report.

LMS Watford unit sides being filled and sanded to hide joins.

Work has stopped on MSJ&A unit awaiting confirmation of certain dimensions and details before proceeding further.

However, a Class 501 unit is about to appear created using Bachmann Suburbans and a damaged one as a donor vehicle. One needs to add an extra compartment to the brake ends and rearrange the sides. Photos as soon as I get that far.

and - I found an unbuilt DC Kits Derby Battery Unit (Deeside) in one of my boxes so it too will be attacked!

I've also been busy extending my layout!

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Getting there though.. its really starting to look the part.

regards

Richard

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I thought I'd share a recent project where I upgraded a couple of Airfix coaches - underframe detail mostly but a repaint, reline and reletter as well.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
**8Very nice indeed!

your work reminded me of a question I keep meaning to ask - Bachmann sell coach bogies in pairs - but do Hornby also sell the new Stanier coach bogies as a separate accessory item? They are vastly superior to all other LMS RTR offerings and would save me many hours of work on coaches....

Richard

1 - 19 of 19 Posts