Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**** This is truly an "on my workbench" question.

I have a product sorely needed by modellers very very nearly ready to go to mass production, and as you may know, I do like things to be done properly whenever possible.

I'd like one of this products several variants to be in the best possible colour for LNER/ER modellers. At this stage I'd rather not say exactly what it is, other than to say every station had them!

I have done a lot of research and have a lot of data that SHOULD give me the answer but as always, interpretation, accuracy and whats really expected or wanted do not always match....

In other words, all the collected research in the world will not really tell me what modellers expect or really want on THEIR layouts! So... I would really appreciate your input and collective wisdom.

I have added the first two parts to the question just to qualify answers.

If you'd like to, also comment on the last part of the question - whether you'd like "new" or "weathered" colours.

As to your responses - all are equal to me. I do not care whether you are a finescale modeller, use only Ready to run or are just a general lover of the regions railways, model a specific area or freelance your own... or what period you model either...

All ER/LNER modeller answers are equally important to me on this question!

Please tell me:

(1) which part of the ER do you model
(2) When do you model it time-wise.
(3) What colour do you paint / would you prefer for the station trim and metalwork on your NE/LNER stations and accessories. (or what colour would best represent them to you if you haven't the desire to paint your own if you like)

I do understand that constituent areas pre-grouping had originally quite different liveries from brown to blue through greens etc. I also understand that repainting took most railways forever, and that sometimes, individual stations were better maintained than others....

Over to you - and sincere thanks to all who answer.

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Richard,

With regards to the weathered /unweathered issue to produce the item weathered would be a good idea ..... encouraging modellers to blend and weather the surrounding area.
More and more i see weathered layouts adding more character and realism with this in mind this finish could appeal more.
Good luck with it i look forward to its launch

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Hi Richard, I agree with Upnick on this, weathered is best!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
My model is based just to the south east of Leeds in the 50s with an emphasis on the GNR lines into Leeds City but there are contributions from the LNWR, MR and maybe one or others who contributed to the incredibly complex history of railway development in the area generally.

I've no idea on colours, my research hasn't got that far yet, and the photos I've collected are all B & W which may not matter as there seems to have been a heck of a lot grime build up after 100 years of railways by the 50s. As an aside, my Grandad once told me that the first time he was able to see clearly across the city from Roundhay Park was during the general strike of 1926. The mills had stopped so the air was clean!

I'm not sure this helps much

David

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Thanks to all who have replied so far.... Are there any more LNER/ER or BR (eastern region) modellers out there who would like to make comment? I had the impression MRF had quite a few!

Richard

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
(1) London end of the ex-GN main line
(2) Circa 1960
(3) What colour? Problem here, so much variability. The dark blue backgrounds of metal station signage was at least fairly much a constant by 1960; but on woodwork white, pale grey, rich cream, mid-earth brown and a mid-green were all much in evidence. Metalwork generally white, mid-grey or black, although metal fittings and framing on wooden canopies and doors would be painted whatever colour the wood had received. Weathered, definitely, it only stayed clean for a week or two following painting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Generic BR ECML - 1955-ish to transition, but with some illegal visitors from other regions! It's my.............

Very much agree with 34C - there really seems to be no hard and fast rule, not nearly as much retained regional identity as other regions - I wonder whether that reflects the generally constantly poor financial state of the LNER, so that it was a case of using whatever paint was to hand, and that carried over into BR days?

So I guess you have a pretty free hand within the range of colours 34C has mentioned - but then again we are modellers, so it shouldn't be beyond us to do a little colour tweaking!

Layout is at a very critical stage, just about got most of the track down, so don't keep us waiting too long!

Anthony

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*** Hi anthony & 34C

Thanks for that.

Yes, that was what I had seen in my research, and so I was was wondering how to nail it down a little.... UK modellers can be pretty cruel if you make an error, no matter how hard you try!

As far as I can see apart from the pregrouping constituents that ranged from tawdry and boring to nice and bright, LNER them selves changed it once totally at least, and then BR again came out with a new standard, but like all other regions, apart from main stations things seem to have been repainted on a very loose schedule and inconsistent basis. Green is an interesting example - It was the last colour thats correct and the basic green is in reality pretty darn close to standard BR Green but the paint used by LNER seemed to fade cruelly to a sort of washed out pale pastel green that was very pale on some items.

I have to say its not as frustrating to get sorted as GWR though - GWR were annoyingly consistent and yet totally consistent at the same time! Always variants of light and dark stone, but sometimes different parts of different things are painted differently station by station - most frustrating!

So... I am hedging my bets for all regions by also including an "undercoated only " model too, so hopefully that will fit the bill for modellers who like to do it their own way :)

regards

Richard

QUOTE (AnthonydeG @ 11 Feb 2009, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Generic BR ECML - 1955-ish to transition, but with some illegal visitors from other regions! It's my.............

Very much agree with 34C - there really seems to be no hard and fast rule, not nearly as much retained regional identity as other regions - I wonder whether that reflects the generally constantly poor financial state of the LNER, so that it was a case of using whatever paint was to hand, and that carried over into BR days?

So I guess you have a pretty free hand within the range of colours 34C has mentioned - but then again we are modellers, so it shouldn't be beyond us to do a little colour tweaking!

Layout is at a very critical stage, just about got most of the track down, so don't keep us waiting too long!

Anthony

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Richard,

Off topic I have a brother in Perth its a small world really !

I come from Grimsby in north Lincolnshire and in the 1960 to end of steam 1967 period the GC and GN stations in the area used Blue for signs, Cream woodwork, black or blue for stantions & drainage. Utility doors on station buildings could be blue/cream or in country areas green. Bells and fire points usually red. All colours normally faded except main stations with lots of staff had busy areas & noticeboards which seemed to be washed and kept clean. Station seating normally blue or green on platforms.
Signal boxes mainly wood with slate tiles, cream with white window frames the box names however could be any combination of cream/black or black/white.

Hope this helps.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
***Cheers Steve - yes, its a very small world... and there's also a very keen railway modeller here called Steve Cook... he's ex Bromsgrove or near to though I think!!

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts