Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anyone built one here on the fourm and can you recommend a good place to buy a oo or 4mm kit. If you have some pic's I would love to see them .....details on motors used, gearbox ease of assembley etc.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Martin

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Martin

I'm also interested to see responses on list to this, but don't forget that 2 or 3 of the best loco builders in the country will be in the same place as you on Sunday at 12.00
so... All the answers you might need will be to hand so to speak

Richard

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may not be able to make it Richard. That wee flood problem we spoke about in Brisbane is getting bigger and I plan to fly there this w/end to sort it out.

If I can fix it before then I will be down ... Got my Bachmann Evening Star all ready with a couple of extras!

Fingers crossed and I will be down.

m

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
K's did a kit many moons ago and the moulds passed to nucast. unfortunatly the prices of their kits have gone up to the point where they are offensivly expensive for what they are. evenf or spare parts its crazy (i ordered 2 small frets for valve gear on my garrett and it came to £30 that was about 2 years ago.
i could have had them custom etched for that!!

Proscale also did a kit for it. i have heard mixed stories about it but it can normally be found int eh back of the todeller.
Remember that for either kit you will need wheels. with silly markits prices and the fact that there are lots of them on a P2 you should concider this very carefully.
The wheels alone are going to be around £60 at least.

Peter

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much Peter

I have worked out a price of about 370.00 pounds for kit wheels motor etc. I will have a scout around and see what else is going.

I couldnt believe the price of the wheels!

Thanks

m

·
Registered
116 Posts
Try
West Coast Centre they have Nucast complete kit listed at £214.00. I had the K's Earl Marischal version it was dire it went via E Bay to elsewhere !! You have been warned!! Never seen the Proscale version.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
B)-->QUOTE(**** b @ 16 Feb 2008, 22:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>West Coast Centre they have Nucast complete kit listed at £214.00.[/quote]

Thats the funniest thing i have heard in ages!!!!!
dont buy it for christ sake!!!!!
It really isnt worth it!!!!

When they were about £70 they were worth it. £100 was pushing their luck. £214!!!!

Peter

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
Alternatively a clapped A4 bought cheap; either a selfbuilt chassis, or the chassis from an HO model of an 8 coupled US design with 80" wheels: much carving and fabrication to stretch the A4 boiler, enlarge the firebox and add a straight footplate over the wheels. That will be my path unless some of the team from the A1 trust commit to a P2 build as the next project. Every chance of a RTR offering if that comes about. Whatever, I will run the end product in BR green, with 9MT power rating on the cab side sheets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I semi scratch built a P2 recently (Cock o' the North, as originally built), found a chassis on eBay. Body was a modification of a Bachmann V2 with a Margate Hornby A4 firebox, all covered in thin brass sheet. Painted it in BR Blue. Looks brilliant. Not sure about the power classification though-8P (or even 9P) would probably be more appropriate, though I thought the former LNER engines didn't carry classification in the 7P or 7MT form?

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Just out of interest, which version do MRF members prefer? Not, of course, that this has anything to do with "Lot 2" at Darlington......

·
Registered
76 Posts
Which version of P2?
I prefer the look of the two original engines, but 2002 in particular as it retained the curves in the running plate & was without the extra plumbing of 2001.
I'm not a big fan of streamlined engines so to me the wedge nose spoiled a really massive looking machine.
Are the folks at the A1 trust looking for a new toy to build ??? Go on ..just for fun

Cheers
Paul M (nz)

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Of course we have to finish the support coach and paying for Tornado but it has always been the ambition of the Trust to start another project when the works had space. If Pete Neesam gets his way it will be a Y8 to act as works pilot!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 4 Oct 2008, 20:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just out of interest, which version do MRF members prefer?

Cock o' the North

Regards

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
I very much favour the streamlined nose form on grounds of both looks and fuctionality. There is always the potential for exhaust clearance problems on large boilered steam locomotives, with all the risks associated with impaired crew look out: the Bugatti nose was a very elegant solution, generating a strong updraft to keep crew vision unobscured. Wind tunnel experiments at the National Physical Laboratory ahead of the building of the A4 streamlined pacific determined that having the chimney ahead of the full height of the boiler casing was the vital element to ensure that the exhaust was consistently lifted clear. This was apparently discovered by accident; one of the clay models used in the testing was slightly damaged, and the exhaust clearance dramatically improved...
QUOTE (nzpaul @ 5 Oct 2008, 04:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.. Are the folks at the A1 trust looking for a new toy to build ..
The rumour was that if Tornado came off OK (big tick in box there) and there was the energy and finance, then a P2 would be a good second candidate. Essentially the P2 was the 2-8-2 equivalent to the A1. Different frames, same boiler, cab and tender. It would be sensible to use the same 250 psi boiler and cylinder diameter as the A1, rather than adhere rigidly to the 220 psi larger cylinder diameter format of the earlier P2. I would imagine the rather dodgy financial climate puts any such thoughts on hold for some time however.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'll vote for a recreation of the Cock o' The North in its original condition, but with the suggestion that the team modernises the valve gear and pony truck lateral control arrangements. These seem to have been the weaknesses that prevented it from being the great engine it should have been. As to its looks, it has always been my favourite of all the big engines. I'm much too young - honestly! - to have seen it, but my father saw it and admired it on the Aberdeen trains when he lived in Cupar.

It would be a very expensive engine to recreate, so perhaps we should also dream about others with fewer wheels and smaller boilers. Despite my fondness for the Highland Railway, the demand is probably for faster main line locomotives than they had, so good candidates might be the Caledonian's Dunalastair !V, and the North Eastern's lovely Worsdell 4-4-0s. How about the M1, with its 7' 1" drivers, and built especially for racing?

That's a bit of a diversion... I'd like to see a reasonably priced P2 in 4mm scale as well as 12 inches to the foot, but like the full size version, it would be expensive to produce, and restricted in its use.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Some well-lubricated discussions in the A1 Trust lobby (once they'd all finished shouting that I couldn't have a V4!
) revolved around the evolution of the P2, roller-bearings all round, better leading truck arrangements and Caprotti rather than Lenz valve gear.

Tornado kept the overall outline of the class but was always going to be the 50th member and subject to improvement, hence the diagram 118A welded boiler and the fully welded tender.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh a V4, that would be something really special, what a perfect loco for preserved lines.
I'd certainly like to see a real one , I can't understand why your collegues would have I'll feeling for such a pretty little loco (not to mention campact, strong & versatile)
Anyway since it's a definate no go, lets have the P2 instead...

Cheers
PaulM (nz)

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Paul, my logic entirely. The V4 was a lightweight 2-6-2 which meant it was as kind to track travelling backwards as forwards, it had a very good power to weight ratio combined with a low axle loading, they had wide fireboxes and one even had a steel firebox. I thought one would be perfect for preserved lines and, better still, the West Highland route!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts