Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I've been knocking up some Mainly Trains chassis kits, B1's and V2's and I've been wondering about the colours of the ex LNER B1. In late BR days these locos all appear to have been painted mixed traffic black with the orange and gray lining. I was wondering if any of these locos were ever painted in LNER Apple green. I wanted to do one during the nationalisation changeover and I have a tender with "British Railways" on it that I have painted in LNER Green but now I wondering if they were ever painted in that colour.

Thanks
Ozzie21

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 11 Jul 2007, 16:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Guys, I've been knocking up some Mainly Trains chassis kits, B1's and V2's and I've been wondering about the colours of the ex LNER B1. In late BR days these locos all appear to have been painted mixed traffic black with the orange and gray lining. I was wondering if any of these locos were ever painted in LNER Apple green. I wanted to do one during the nationalisation changeover and I have a tender with "British Railways" on it that I have painted in LNER Green but now I wondering if they were ever painted in that colour.

Thanks
Ozzie21
is this one?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
the B1's certainatly carried apple green but i am not sure if the B1's ever carried the "Brittish railways" lettering while in that colour. also be carefull which green. the different works mixed their own batches of apple green to their own recepie. darlington green is quite different from doncaster green.

Peter

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
For this era 'The Big Four in Colour - 1935 to 1950' is a useful title. Three pictures of B1's in green, two still 'LNER', but E1299 with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' in full on the tender. This book states that all the NBL built locos from no 1094 were turned out apple green until nationalisation. Darlington also painted B1's green, but it may well have been their slightly darker grass green that was used - no picture reference for that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ron White and Norman Johnston's book "LNER Locomotives in colour 1936-1948" has excellent pictures of B1s 1029 Chamois and 1018 Gnu brand new in Darlington LNER Green in 1947. "The Big Four in Colour 1935-50" has a picture of 1299 in LNER apple green with British Railways on the tender. It goes on to say that 1287 was the last NBL example to appear with LNER on the tender and 61304 the first to display the full BR number so the ones in between were delivered new in apple green with British Railways on the tender. No doubt others received this before they all went into BR mixed traffic black.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Neil, but it looks like a K class 2-6-0. it's a nice green and it certainly adds a splash of colour to my predominately BR green fleet.

Thanks Ozzie21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 11 Jul 2007, 16:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>is this one?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 11 Jul 2007, 13:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Neil, but it looks like a K class 2-6-0. it's a nice green and it certainly adds a splash of colour to my predominately BR green fleet.

It looks more like a D49 to me - Morayshire?

Regards

John

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Neil,

Its might be pretending to be a charictor from Thomas collection but its certainly not Henry, he was a 4-6-2 pacific

Brian

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Bro, you'll have to dig out you're books again, I think you'll find that Henry was only a pacific in "Really Usefull Engines" and there after he was a 4-6-0. He's a 4-6-0 in the TV show and hence the Hornby range.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 14 Jul 2007, 00:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought he was closer to Henry than Percy who's a 0-4-0. I'm not aware of any other green engine?

I think you omitted them on purpose, but what about No.8 Duck and no.11 Oliver and of corse Flying Scotsman visited the Isle of Sodor

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, I should have looked a bit closer at the name plate.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (BRITHO @ 12 Jul 2007, 02:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It looks more like a D49 to me - Morayshire?

Regards

John

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ozzie 21,

You have picked one of the most difficult periods to ask about as there was quite a lot of variation at this time. First of all, do you wish to have a "general" representation of "a" B1 or do you wish to represent a particular loco at a particular date ? Sounds a silly question but it isn't. The period from 1947 to 1951 is a minefield when it comes to specific detail. If you can tell me of a particular loco, I will furnish the info I have, but otherwise, it will have to be a generalisation.

woolwinder

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Woolwinder,
I hadn't really thought of doing a particular loco. What i had originally thought was a companion to the the Bachmann A1 and as I had a spare B1 body I thought it would be a nice choice. I can see now that it is a complex issue that i9s going to take a bit more study before I can come up with a correct question rather than a general question.
I'll be back.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (woolwinder @ 17 Jul 2007, 00:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ozzie 21,

You have picked one of the most difficult periods to ask about as there was quite a lot of variation at this time. First of all, do you wish to have a "general" representation of "a" B1 or do you wish to represent a particular loco at a particular date ? Sounds a silly question but it isn't. The period from 1947 to 1951 is a minefield when it comes to specific detail. If you can tell me of a particular loco, I will furnish the info I have, but otherwise, it will have to be a generalisation.

woolwinder

1 - 18 of 18 Posts