Model Railway Forum banner

Loco doesn't move

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  poliss 
#1 ·
I fitted a drop in Digitrax DN163A0 decoder into my Atlas N Scale B23-7. Light function works, but loco doesn't move. I'm using a Roco Lokmaus 2. Digitrax instructions say check for motor shorts. Loco worked fine on DC.
Is it a motor short or do I need to reprogram to default settings?

#2 ·
QUOTE (poliss @ 17 Jan 2008, 01:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I fitted a drop in Digitrax DN163A0 decoder into my Atlas N Scale B23-7. Light function works, but loco doesn't move. I'm using a Roco Lokmaus 2. Digitrax instructions say check for motor shorts. Loco worked fine on DC.
Is it a motor short or do I need to reprogram to default settings?

Was it one of Digitrax's plug and play type of decoder ? i fited one of these to a loco yeasterday and it wouldnt go the light came on but no motive power.
I disassembled the chassis agian and found one of the motor contact was not making contact with the underside of the decoder, i add a small peice of tape between the chassis side and motor contact just to be sure they are isolated from each other, during installation

upnick.

#4 ·
Problem solved. Was bad decoder design. The contacts on the decoder board are so small the motor strips weren't touching it. Had to bend them upward. Took about six attempts and had to replace everything that dropped out a few times. The contacts on the board are bigger on the wrong side, sheesh!!
It would have been a lot easier if the board fitted like PC RAM.

#5 ·
QUOTE (poliss @ 18 Jan 2008, 00:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Problem solved. Was bad decoder design. The contacts on the decoder board are so small the motor strips weren't touching it. Had to bend them upward. Took about six attempts and had to replace everything that dropped out a few times. The contacts on the board are bigger on the wrong side, sheesh!!
It would have been a lot easier if the board fitted like PC RAM.

**Try a TCS AMD4 or ASD4 next time, depending on loco size.... TCS were the first to do a direct drop in for Atlas HO and N loco's and are still best at it.

AMD = Atlas Medium diesel ASD = Atlas Short Diesel 4 = 4 function

- see TCS website for relevant loco lists.... they have excellent back EMF and a goof proof warranty too....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.