Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
AS a way of introducing myself [and my layout] heres a few pics and a brief description ....
Loftborough runs four different systems.
Live Steam [one tailchaser loop]
00 DC [three tailchasers and shunting yard]
Hornby Dublo ...3rail ...[two chailchasers]
N/009 guage [one tailchaser]
The total area of my layout is 12x8 and its in my loft.

It,s more of an operational layout than scenic,but the Dublo and N/009 were originally intended just as bit of "moving scenery" ...but have gradually evolved into layouts in their own right [this is p'tic'ly true of the Dublo ....it started a dumping ground for unwanted buildings and stock,but things are gradually improving]
My original idea,was to have a layout representing all four regions,set sometime in the mid 1960's,but my own personal preferences of locos began creeping in when I bought new locos and its now begining to look a little like LMS meets LNER [somewhere near Sheffield & the ECML ...which is where I live,and did most of my "spotting" in the early 1960's]
So its mainly LMS & LNER steam,with an occassional GWR & SR loco thrown in ....and a few deisels.

I'm afraid my photographic skills leave a lot to be desired,and apologies to those of you who have seen my pics on other forums ....but here goes.

Wild Swan & Gresleys Duck [Mallard is one of my two Live Steamers]

Scotsman & Papyrus [Papyrus is the other half of my Live Steam fleet]

42789 waiting leave the goods yard [I had'nt noticed the other loco still running in the background ....I was rather pleased with the effect though]

A B12 working a preserved special

An N2 working a coal train.

Deltic 9003 "Meld" ...one of the few deisels on my layout.

A couple of SR visitors

And a couple of GWR visitors

A couple of shots of the Dublo section.

And the N/009 section

The loco is a £1.99 childs Thomas series "Skaloey" ....heavily butchered and mounted on a Bachmann "Plymouth Shunter" ....the original idea was just a bit of Narrow Guage ""moving scenery"

Just a few Scenic shots....

.....I readily admit that the scenery leaves a lot to be desired,but first & foremost,this is an operating model railway ....I can have an hours running session without any hitches/derailments or niggles ....I just sit back,pour myself a glass of beer and enjoy.
The layout is far from finished [is a layout ever finished] ....most of my plans now involve improving the scenery ....but I find it a whole lot more fun to just sit back and watch at the moment.

best regards
Terry

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
As no one commented on the original post, the photos have been moved inline so you don't have to click elsewhere. Now it's easy to see that this is a fine layout

David

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
NICE!!!
Steve

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi ....thanks for sorting me that small prob out David ....and thanks for the nice comments guys.
Here's a few more pics to be going on with ....these are mainly what has happened on my layout over the last few weeks.

I have installed some lights since the last lot of pics

The station has acquired a nameboard [its a "Coopercraft" Kit ....unfortunately,I mis-spelt? the name, I missed an "O" out,so its now Loftbrough instead of Loftborough]

Did anyone else get this little horror as the Hornby "freebie" last year .....
....I did ....and I did'nt like it .....it did'nt fit the era I'm attempting to model ....

So it became this .....I removed the body,gave it a coat of grey car primer,a coat of Fiat Green [both straight from the aerosols] ...followed by a wash of watery brown water paint where its going rusty and some matt-black Humbrol smeared around the greasy bits ....it still needs numbering,its going to be D2420 [which is preserved at Barrow Hill] ....it also needs some more rust ...its too clean for my liking.

A coaling tower was the next addition ....

Its a "Ratio" kit ...although it was red oxide? coloured when it came outa the box,I sprayed it with red oxide [car spray aerosol again] ....it then got the watery brown water paint "rust treatment" ....followed by a light spray of black metallic car paint [aerosol] ....
The coal in it and around the base is real coal ....I had to give this "real coal" [honest it is real] a coat of clear laquer [car spray again] ....as I found that crushing the coal into small lumps tends to dull it ......I think its the dust which makes it dull,but unfortuately,by the time its been crushed,it's little more than dust anyway,and therefor its impossible to wash it.

48151 delivered the coal ....

Did you notice the guy standing in the Alley in the first pic?
Did you guess what he was doing?

Yep .......He'd just come out of the pub.
He'd had a skinful,and decided to relieve himself.
Thats "Plod" behind him .....he got nicked for it.

Thats all for now guys,apols to anyone who has seen these pics before,but I will be doing some new ones soon.
I like my threads to "Picture Intensive".

best regards

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Very nice indeed Terry. I particularly liked the Coaling Tower and the 'remodelled' Hornby shunter. I agree about it needing a bit more of 'used' look.

Keep up the good work and lets see some more pics as you progress.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Enjoyed the allyway cameo. it reminded me of a set of figures I saw when i was last in the model shop. It was an office desk a boss and his secretary. Comes from a range called "sexy scenes" so Ill not spell out what they were doing!!!
Steve

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Great pictures Terry, Im a fan of period campsites,been collecting old matchbox/dinky campers and caravans etc... now fabricating towbars to fit to my cars
Nice bit of work you've done there

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (frame69 @ 30 Jan 2009, 11:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great pictures Terry, Im a fan of period campsites,been collecting old matchbox/dinky campers and caravans etc... now fabricating towbars to fit to my cars

Thanks again for the comments guys.
Scenes from the campsite ? ...
here you go ....

I set this pic up for a guy on another forum ....he drives one of these little French cars ....and he tows a caravan just like this one with it.

You might have noticed ....
....there are a lot of Citroen 2CV's on my layout ....I drive one myself as my "weekend fun car".

best regards
Terry

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi TerryB,

This looks like a layout you can have a lot of fun with - that's certainly what I aspire to with mine, good work there

I like the street/platform lamps, very atmospheric - are you going to put lights in the buildings?

Keep up the good work

Regards.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 28 Jan 2009, 18:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As no one commented on the original post, the photos have been moved inline so you don't have to click elsewhere. Now it's easy to see that this is a fine layout

David

Good move David - thanks (I could'nt get them to load originally).

Great layout with tons of operating interest & fun.

I especially liked the period 2CV & caravan - nice touch.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I owned one in the 90s,£75 for a soft-top,bargain! Are you going to have Barbara Windsor in her famous carry-on pose in the campsite!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all ....thanks for the encouraging comments ....

QUOTE (steam-driven boy @ 30 Jan 2009, 15:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like the street/platform lamps, very atmospheric - are you going to put lights in the buildings?

So far, only the Station has a light in in it ....and thats only because I broke one of the street lights installing it ....future plans are to put lights in the pub and a couple of the houses though. I need to find some more suitable lights though.

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 30 Jan 2009, 20:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great layout with tons of operating interest & fun.

It is basically an operating layout ....controlling six DC tailchasers [3x "00",2x "Dublo" and 1x "N"] plus operating a Live Steam tailchaser whilst shunting in the goods yard takes quite an effort ....it's rather nice sometimes though to just sit back,pour a beer and watch them all whizzing round.

QUOTE (frame69 @ 7 Feb 2009, 21:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I owned one in the 90s,£75 for a soft-top,bargain! Are you going to have Barbara Windsor in her famous carry-on pose in the campsite!

I'm afraid the days of the cheap 'uns have long gone now ....a rolling wreck with no T&T will set you back £500 ....a good example is the topside of £2000 and a completely restored example was reportedly sold recently for £9,999.
I had'nt any plans for Barbara Windsor .... but there's an idea ....I want the model of her just as the scene "cuts" in the film though.....[ie
without the bikini top]

best regards
Terry

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All .... I've not really done much on my layout over the last coupla months ....but heres a few pics of my latest buy ....
A "Synchrosmoke" Brittannia ... it cost me £25 from a local toyfair.
The observant among you might notice thast the L/H buffer is missing,it also has the #"7" missing from the L/H side ...I intend to remedy these faults with the correct items purchased from the York Racecourse MR Show this coming Easter W/end ....

And heres a pic of my "Jinty" just passing my "Goods Yard"

best regards
T.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Terry
Like your 4-in-1 layout.
How does your Synchrosmoke Britannia run? Mine is very slow and jerky at first, then after it's warmed up speeds off, probably at a scale 200mph. Anyone ideas what causes the motor to behave like that? Course, it is 40 years old now...
mal

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Mal ....no probs with my Brit. ....it runs well at both slow and fast speeds.
Although as I did'nt know the locos history I did remove the body though and gave the motor a good dosing of Electrical Switchcleaner [Isopropanol] and greased the gears ....although tbh,the main reason for removing the body was to give the smoke generator a good clean as I did'nt know if it had been run without smoke oil in it [in fact,I did'nt actually know if the smoke generator was gonna work at all] .

However ....It runs and smokes like a good 'un now.

best regards
T.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi all ...I've been tidying up a couple of locos ....the Brit got a new set of numbers as the old ones were showing signs of wear ...

Here she is with a newly acquired set of Blood & Custards.

Next ...I had two Bachman Jubilees [both 45697 Achilles] ....I renumbered and renamed one of them 45593 Kolhapur.

Here they are together ....Achilles on the right.

And double heading ....Kolhapur in front.

best regards
Terry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your layout is indeed a impressive sight to me and especially is great inspiration to myself.
I myself am going to be planning a layout which conists of anything from the Big Four to the Late BR period, due to the fact I have a large amount of rolling stock of these periods, and it would be a terrible shame for me to sell some of it in order to do a certain period!

What I wanted to know was, what is the measurements of your layout overall?

Garethp8873.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts