Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Layouts life began in the shed and stayed there for a number of years advancing at a rapid snail's pace. I recently decided, with the help of some forum member's opinions to move my layout from the shed to the loft. "Easy" thinks I!!
I think I may have bitten off a bit more than I thought.

First off was the clear-up. The loft had become a dumping ground

From this:-

To this:-

Now I am currently dismantling the layout for the move and it's not coming apart as easily as I had thought. Although the baseboards are modular. I didn't cut the track in line with the edges and now cutting the track, I will have to fiddle with it a lot for it to re-align properly. And the baseboard screws which hold it all together are in the most awkward places. Also the mass of wiring which all worked perfectly has had to be separated at certain points and is unmarked.

What it means in reality is, I'm going to have to re-align the boards and what track I can. The track I can't re-align properly will have to be replaced and the wiring will have to be re-thought.

Never mind - all in a days work for a railway modeller

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
Looks to me like you've done the hard part

Best of luck.

David

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there people, it's definitely been a while. Things were going well at the beginning but again work took over and there was no time for the fun stuff. Also in the last month the loft had to be cleared and the floor had to be taken up in order for a complete rewire of the house to take place. It did however give me a chance to clear out the loft completely (3 weeks hard graft). Everything is currently stored in the shed along with junk which is either going to car boot sale, a charity shop or the bin, and now once I fix the floor I will have a blank canvas to continue my favourite hobby.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Alan well done on your'flitting' and loads of hard work, I have some sympathy. I built my layout in the garage and being a late returner/beginner I have learned so much since I started some three years ago. I am still in the garage but have learned, from my desire to go dcc, that one dropper per length of track is not enough and have ended up putting three per metre of track.

Simultaneously I have changed errors on the original track laying and trackplan. I have changed thirty two insulfrogs to electrofrogs and modified them as I went and have now added 24 Cobalt dcc point motors so far.More to follow. As I go I see errors that I had missed and so correct them as I go. So its an ongoing story and all great fun.

cheers
Graham

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Cheers Graham, just noticed your post there! I think it's the only way to go - i.e. the hard way, although sometimes expensive. Mistakes are all part of the game. Through some of mine I've decided to redesign the layout slightly, extending it to use the full length of the loft enabling me to run longer trains. YAHAY. I will use my original baseboards from the shed and add some new ones to lengthen the layout.

People commented a couple of years back on my baseboards so I thought that this time I would take pics of their construction and post it as a little tutorial. It will be a few weeks down the line as I am currently still redecorating and trying to put the house back together after the brutal re-wire. But I have bought the timber in readiness. So watch this space.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Alan I look forward to seeing your baseboards under construction I'm hoping to run long trains too. So I'm anticipating great things now Alan.

Graham

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally some progress. I have not been idle, I have been beavering away trying to get the floor back down and I've also made some improvements.

As the loft was used for a long time as a den for the boys and their friends it was painted black and the end where the water tank is was blocked off with curtains. The kids spent many hours up there with their friends and at one time had a 6 foot snooker table up there, a set of drums and a small 3 peice suite. You should have seen me trying to get that out, I have no clue how they got it up there.

Anyway, I have decided to keep it black, but I have extended by about 3 feet to make a working area where I can have a small desk and storage for all my railway items and instead of blocking off with curtains I've built a partition out of scrap wood, plasterboard from the shed and cupboard doors from the old kitchen. It's been painted brighter colours at this end to keep depression at bay.

My work and storage area.

The area where the layout will live

So now all that remains is to bring the layout and stock up to the loft.

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not a great deal of progress, but some

I have once again brought the layout back to the loft

Here it is in bits.
I laid it out on the floor to see the original footprint

Then pulled 2 of the baseboards across the floor to see how much space I have to fill in.

Like the previous shed plan it will still be an inverted figure 8 style layout and with the extra length I can accomodate a shallower incline. I am going to increase the depth of the back baseboards in order to accomodate a better fiddle yard on these rather than the storage yard which was underneath the station in the old plan which gave me no end of trouble. So under the station will just be a straight through track. I may even include this as a low level track but it might look silly having a train pass through the main station and then a minute later pass through the low level. I'll see as I progress.

·
Station Cat (Penguins beware!)
292 Posts
QUOTE (Julian2011 @ 18 May 2013, 16:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Alan,

WOW! that's a great idea ...... Flat-pack layouts from Ikea Rail .......

J

Ooooh is there a selection you can order ?

·
C55
2,465 Posts
QUOTE Ooooh is there a selection you can order ?

Just the usual - Planned Pine matt varnished or colour-washed Pink/Blue ......

I'm at the wrong time of life for it but I reckon there's a business opportunity there for modules built on Sandwiches which lock and match the track ends ..... [ 5% for me for the idea, 'though ...
]

Incidentally I'm working on the track joins for the bigger Sandwich plan ....... do you think Ikea might go for it .......

J

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If only it were that simple guys, Eh? It's actually not a new idea, Modular layouts have been around for many years, especially in the american scene.

No! I'm afraid a lot of the track will be ripped up and re-layed if not all. It's really starting from scratch.

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
Fascinating! I wish you well with the relocation.

David

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Alan I 'm looking forward to seeing your new baseboards ,going by your old ones, and being able to add longer trains is also a bonus, I love the swish sound of 8/10 coaches coming round a bend or through a station and the clickety clack as they go over a levelcrossing. I read somewhere that you can simulate the same sound by making a small cut in the rail, just partially, although I haven't tried it myself no doubt someone on here maybe yourself has tried it.

cheers for now

Graham

1 - 20 of 263 Posts