Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to discover what was the coaching stock for the the London North Woolwich steam trains just before steam ceased on that line.

I also want to know what were the coaches that were converted to make the autotrains that ran on the line to Ongar. The locos were F5s. Books mention the loclos and that they were an autotrain but do not say what they were converted from.

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi
there is a photo in london steam by micheal welch showing an n2 at north woolwich.i am by no means an expert on carraiges but they look like standard maroon non corridor suburban coaches. picture is from 1961.
cant help on ongar branch but have a look on www.gersociety.org.uk there might be something there.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I lived in Woolwich for many years. As a trainspotter I would cross over on the (steam-powered) Woolwich Free Ferry and catch the train to Stratford. This was around 1958-62. The steam hauled trains used Gresley Quad-Arts in the main - at least those are the ones I recall. I even took photos with one of my father's old cameras (only of locos, alas) but did not keep accurate records. By 1962 DMUs had come into use.

Can I recommend "Branch Lines around North Woolwich" by J E Connor, edited by Vic Mitchell and published by Middleton Press in 2001. ISBN 1 901706 656. This contains a wide range of photos of the North Woolwich line. And the North Woolwich Railway Museum has a lot of information as well.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quad-Art or Quint Art? I'd understood the GN had the Quads and the GE had Quints, hence the query.

As for the Ongar branch, Harris' LNER Carriages p53 has your answer and a picture -Dia 64 or 65 Brake 3rd with Dia 56 or 57 all third . These are Gresley non-corridor compartment coaches , 51' 1.5" bodies, and I think the vehicles in their uncoverted state used to be asvailable as Ian Kirk kits. Come to that I think I may have been looking at a couple of examples built by someone else an hour or so ago....

·
Registered
763 Posts
And just to say that Jim Connor who is responsible for publishing London Railway Record is a leading authority on London's railways and anything from his imprint is well worth gettign

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I am sure they were Quad-arts - the platforms at North Woolwich were not a great length and could only take about 4 coaches. Great subject perhaps for a model? Passenger and goods traffic, including industrial sidings - and if modelled pre-grouping a turn-table loco release arrangement for added interest.
Principle problem would be the 'disappearing act' - the line all the way to Silvertown Station is very flat, public roads on both sides and only a foot-bridge or two to break it up.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I've just found my copy of "Return to North Woolwich" published in 1987 by the Passmore Edwards Museum Trust and the Great Eastern Railway Society. This confirms my recollections that steam was withdrawn by September 1962 - in the last year or so of steam operation there was a mix of steam and DMUs operating passenger trains.

This small book has some 40 photos of the line, including one showing the small turn-table, but it does not say when this was replaced by a points system.

Another photo, taken in July 1962, shows a coach built by BR but to an LNER design in use on a train.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
A PS to my last post - while rereading "Return to North Woolwich" over lunch I found in the small print in one photo caption that the small turntable was a casulty of WW2 and replaced then by points. Very model-like in that they used the prototype equivilant of three 'Y' points to get the locos off either platform road onto the central run-round road.

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts