Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are there any London Transport modelers out there.

I am just finishing of a tube station,not scale length but gives a good idea to Canadian visitors who have nostalgic ? memories of the tube and others.
When I gave my introduction one person,Brian said he would like to see pictures.
I have modeled Sarah Siddons No.12 and dreadnoughts,T stock,F stock,EFE '38 stock.Hamblings litho P [?] stock.

I have just aquired a new camera [finally!] and have taken a few quick trial shots.Have to sort out focusing etc.etc.etc.
The pictures are of the tube station.Rough but not too bad.

I have uploaded these plus others to WWW.photobucket.com
Not sure if this was the best way to do things but it seems to work out ok.

By going to

www.photobucket.com/ which I can't get to work from here.
How is it done under insert special item?Tried many ways.Got a headache.Gave up.

then typing in the search space, begernie ,it will take you to a link to look up begernie's album.

There LondonTransport is shown plus others.Even deer in my garden.Click on radio button and then click on blue title.

There are DRG photos that Neil might like.I will be doing more.Found that all this can take up time and it is a learning thing for me.

Cheers to all,
Bryan.

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (Nozomi @ 29 Apr 2007, 21:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are there any London Transport modelers out there.

I am just finishing of a tube station,not scale length but gives a good idea to Canadian visitors who have nostalgic ? memories of the tube and others.
When I gave my introduction one person,Brian said he would like to see pictures.
I have modeled Sarah Siddons No.12 and dreadnoughts,T stock,F stock,EFE '38 stock.Hamblings litho P [?] stock.

I have just aquired a new camera [finally!] and have taken a few quick trial shots.Have to sort out focusing etc.etc.etc.
The pictures are of the tube station.Rough but not too bad.

I have uploaded these plus others to WWW.photobucket.com
Not sure if this was the best way to do things but it seems to work out ok.

By going to link To photobucket?

There LondonTransport is shown plus others.Even deer in my garden.Click on radio button and then click on blue title.

There are DRG photos that Neil might like.I will be doing more.Found that all this can take up time and it is a learning thing for me.

Cheers to all,
Bryan.
Here is link To photobucket

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Bryan,
In the UK there are a number of modellers of LT underground. There are also at least two exhibition layouts doing the rounds.
'Copenhagan Fields' - the 2mm scale layout of the Kings Cross approaches in London - this includes a model of an early 1900s tube station and it's underground platforms. This layout is by 'The Model Railway Club' of London.
The other I have seen is 'City Road' by Tim Steven. This is a ficticious location of the Metropolitan Railway close to the (closed) Northern Line station of that name. Possibly one of the most interesting features of this layout is the very convincing 'arc' effects at conductor rail gaps as trains enter and leave.

Both have been featured in model railway journals in past years but I have no details of which mags or issues.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 30 Apr 2007, 10:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bryan,
In the UK there are a number of modellers of LT underground. There are also at least two exhibition layouts doing the rounds.
'Copenhagan Fields' - the 2mm scale layout of the Kings Cross approaches in London - this includes a model of an early 1900s tube station and it's underground platforms. This layout is by 'The Model Railway Club' of London.
The other I have seen is 'City Road' by Tim Steven. This is a ficticious location of the Metropolitan Railway close to the (closed) Northern Line station of that name. Possibly one of the most interesting features of this layout is the very convincing 'arc' effects at conductor rail gaps as trains enter and leave.

Both have been featured in model railway journals in past years but I have no details of which mags or issues.
Regards,
John Webb
Thanks for your reply John,
I am in the colonies and access to clubs in the UK is not possible.
I have garnered many books etc from eBay over the years.Plus we can get the UK MR publications albeit twice the UK price.

As to the 'arc" effect.
I use miniature glass reed switches in various spots in the track i.e. pointwork to operate blue grain of wheat lamps.
All rolling stock with conductor shoes have on board rare earth magnets which pass over and operate the reed switches and 'arc' the blue lamps.
All my rolling stock have interior LED lighting and running trains with room lights off it all looks really effective.

I wanted to reproduce the blue flashes of the Picadilly line watched by me as a child on Welbeck Road near Rayners Lane while in bed visiting my cousin there.
We used to live in Sheringham Norfolk at the time.
Best regards,
Bryan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry if I write only today but i was very busy!!
I'm projecting a diorama of TfL tube. How have you realized the track? Can you say the dimension of the galley of the station(platform, etc ) ( cm please not inch!!)?
Thank you very much

·
Registered
763 Posts
Worth mentioning a couple of suppliers here:

Radley Models have taken over the LT kit range formerly available from Harrow Model Shop (now defunct)

Street Level Models (part of Connor and Bulter who publish London Railway Review) offer structure kits including a number of LT buildings (stations, signal boxes) and can be used as the basis for some stock , if you're prepared to work up from a card kit. Not finescale , but definitely intersting. The people behind Street Level have several excellent layouts set in London, including Hounsditch , a new layout featuring the Tube

Noizumi:

It you're modelling the Met in particular ,as mention of Sarah and T stock suggests, try SE Finecast. They offer cast whitemetal loco kits for the Met 0-4-4T, 0-6-2T and the 2-6-4T , as well as a Met brake van

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (nascar38 @ 22 May 2007, 20:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry if I write only today but i was very busy!!
I'm projecting a diorama of TfL tube. How have you realized the track? Can you say the dimension of the galley of the station(platform, etc ) ( cm please not inch!!)?
Thank you very much
I presume you saw the tube station pictures?
I used plastic drain pipe cut away for the station.
Everything was scratch built and all out of my head without plan,just a rough idea in my mind.
It is not 100% correct I'm sure but the total feel/effect was pleasing to me.
The platforms were grey Formica and scribed flagstones.
The station tunnel walls were from Radley models.The posters were gleaned of the internet and suitably reduced to scale.
The lighting is all LED with home made lamps the shades of which I found in the crafts department of a Dollar$Store.Actually they were rivets for leather work and a 3mm LED fits snugly in the hole.
I have found many useful raw materials at these stores.
The track is flex track cemented to supports under the rails about the right depth of the suicide pits and then cemented to a base.
When thoroughly dried I cut the sleepers away with a Dremel cutting tool as close to the rail as possible thus keeping the gauge intact.Not the best way but the easiest.
I then added the conductor centre rail supports of suitable sized plastic posts with Peco conductor rail chairs and cemented to the base.
The outside third rail used the remaining sleeper drilled at every 5th sleeper and Peco conductor chairs inserted.This was all to simulate the "suicide pit".
The effect of the running rails is not quite correct but the total effect does not look to bad.That is in my mind only.
As to dimensions,well as I said I just did it from my mind,so I really don't have any.
Please feel free to ask anything.
Regards and chou,
Bryan.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 23 May 2007, 11:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Worth mentioning a couple of suppliers here:

Radley Models have taken over the LT kit range formerly available from Harrow Model Shop (now defunct)

Street Level Models (part of Connor and Bulter who publish London Railway Review) offer structure kits including a number of LT buildings (stations, signal boxes) and can be used as the basis for some stock , if you're prepared to work up from a card kit. Not finescale , but definitely intersting. The people behind Street Level have several excellent layouts set in London, including Hounsditch , a new layout featuring the Tube

Noizumi:

It you're modelling the Met in particular ,as mention of Sarah and T stock suggests, try SE Finecast. They offer cast whitemetal loco kits for the Met 0-4-4T, 0-6-2T and the 2-6-4T , as well as a Met brake van

Thank you for all the leads.
Liked the kits from Street Level.They are good basics for adaption.
I have made up the Harrow Model shop Sarah and dreadnoughts and T stock.
SE Finecast looks good.
Sorry for late reply as I just found your reply!
Best regards,
Bryan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts