Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi all,

I have purchased a snooker cue ally case 50 inches X 2 & half inches wide internal maximum ....... and am contemplating a layout in it only simple of course .......... has anyone seen this done for ideas please as i saw it at onetime but cant remember where
T gauge looks a good option but i would like it to be N.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Kain,
Good link thanks i'll have a good look, removed the foamy bit in the bottom of the case so far

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

Nearly two years on & last week i looked at the snooker case again ............ the concept was to make up a small N scale end to end shuttle line on DC but in as small a space as possible, after a trip to my my local sports shop where one like this measuring 49 3/4 X 2 /1/2'' was purchased i previously mentioned i made a start.

First job was to strip it out to its bare minimum especially the handle the two holes to be filled later with plastic plugs.

Following lining the inside base with Woodland Scenics HO trackbed i laid Code 55 N scale flexi track with an electrofrog long crossing, a means of power going in the case was made cutting out for a 15 pin D connector on the left end.

On the inside wiring to the track & lighting is threaded through an offcut of left over outer tubing from aircraft control 'snakes' the nut & bolt is temporary to be replaced later with a plastic plug the end inside heat sealed over to retain the connector.

On the right end of the shuttle a platform at the rear will see the loco stop

Overall image of the track layout from the right end.

The shuttle itself i housed in a project box always a good economical source for a couple of pounds a blank box all ready to be tailored to what you need, the lid has a green led to show power if on for the fan & internal LED to illuminate the adjustment pot should you need make any alterations also a square aperture with a piece of clear plastic on the inside of the lid provides a window to observe the light changing as the shuttle changes direction of the loco.

Inside the box the shuttle unit dominates with the fan below to keep everything cool a switch controls the fan, connections to the fan supply & shuttle are seen here passing through gromits in the box to save chaffing on the wire with two other gromits on the right side towards the top in place for the shuttle track control & lighting wires on to the other end of the D connector.

So at last i've made a start on things hopefully i can finish it for
as an alternative decoration

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Hi Nick looking good
Looks like your getting all your old ides sorted now your getting better .I Remember seeing something like this I think it may have been in a old N gauge Society mag.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi Nick,

Love the idea!!!

Could even lend itself to two N scale Japanese trams?

I bought an N scale layout in a fishing rod case many years ago and sold it on.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An idea Paul but over the top as a double slip would be as much as the case cost me & that was half price its original RRP was £70

QUOTE (Sprintex @ 9 Nov 2010, 20:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Replace that crossing with a double slip and you could do some shunting in there as well?

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers Rowan / Dave when its done it'll take up very little space stood on its end

·
Registered
771 Posts
And you won't have a logistics nightmare of loading your car up with it for exhibitions!!!

If fact you could travel with it by bus or train or plane!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 9 Nov 2010, 22:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And you won't have a logistics nightmare of loading your car up with it for exhibitions!!!

If fact you could travel with it by bus or train or plane!!

Dave

Dont drive so it would be train or bus

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi All,

Tonight i added some special sleepers where the track joins where made with small pieces of 20 thou plasticard to raise the sleepers sufficiently to bring them level with the surrounding ones.

The front line parallel to the platform track terminates & so a mMinitrix buffer stop i am fond of was used they are very nicely detailed & come with a section of track already to place where you wish
special sleepers are needed again to finish the track off.

Also a miniature LED red light was added atop the buffer beam & wired with motor wire to keep things neat
didnt get a picture of it fitted though.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All,
Short update on things the basic ballasting has been done with at first a buff from Woodland scenics but on second thoughts it was removed & grey used in its place .... each end has been left to allow for any adjustments to wiring along with the track in front of the platform for painting when the picture was taken i had just added the front light wiring.

The black painted area in the lid is to be where the station is sited.

A backscene is needed & low profile a station building started from plasticard concealing the curve of the case hinge the biggest problem, in other areas scenics should take care of it.

The wires for lighting run along the front inside edge beneath the underlay which was prised away & released to conceal the wire, itg emerges at the right end as seen here on under the trac k to the lid two pieces of sheet brass where CA to plasticard & the lid end providing power for the lid to be soldered to

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Looking good NICK have you got a name for the station yet if not how about CUE REST

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers Andy/Dave,

I hadnt given the stations name a thought Dave sounds ok though

1 - 20 of 28 Posts