Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I'm after the 'Duchess of Sutherland' loco that was supplied in the Hornby "The Royal Train" Train Pack - R2370

I know that some of you guys are hoarders like me and if you have this loco - perhaps with the coaches, but that is not important, then I am interested in a swap or purchase.

Can someone tell me if this loco is loco-drive or tender-drive. I know the old 70's loco was tender-drive, but I would prefer a loco-drive model.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you want a stand alone one TMC do the re-naming of the current Duchess's. Expensive though at £130 ODD!! Is DCC ready though.

ebayEBay set

Full set for £135.

Options to consider if you can't find one elsewhere.

I I have the City of Nottingham from a couple of years ago which is the same model. I don't think the set one is DCC ready as they updated the City from the 2005 non DCC version to DCC ready in 2006. Also it doesn't have NEM pockets and has quite large couplers, sort of 3/4 size of the old ones Hornby still use.

HTH

Darren

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (darobi @ 23 Aug 2007, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...
ebayEBay set

Full set for £135.
I was watching this. It was at £120 on auction and at £135 with a Buy-It-now. Sure it is rare, but I thought even £120 was a little steep. I was hoping to offer him even less if it didn't sell, but it was bought with the BIN by someone in Germany. Perhaps this shows how 'cheap' the British locos are compared to what is found on the continent.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Doug,

Hopefully it is mine. It's not a question of comparative costs between UK and continental models. There is no comparison because you can't buy a Duchess from a continental manufacturer. Considering the prices of "heavyweight" traction these days, I think I got a reasonable buy, not only because of the loco but also the coaches which are not easily obtainable, especially from this side of the water! However, having said that, the prices being charged by Model Zone/TMC for their renamed/renumbered RTR models is even higher.

woolwinder

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (woolwinder @ 23 Aug 2007, 16:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Doug,

Hopefully it is mine. It's not a question of comparative costs between UK and continental models. There is no comparison because you can't buy a Duchess from a continental manufacturer. Considering the prices of "heavyweight" traction these days, I think I got a reasonable buy, not only because of the loco but also the coaches which are not easily obtainable, especially from this side of the water! However, having said that, the prices being charged by Model Zone/TMC for their renamed/renumbered RTR models is even higher.

woolwinder

OK, now we know the culprit

It is a rare set and that does drive up prices.

Would you be interested in 3 more coaches (and the box) if I buy the set elsewhere? I'm only interested in the loco

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I'll kep my eyes open when we're out and about. Incidentally is this the one with the red lamps on the front?

Regards

·
Registered
144 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 23 Aug 2007, 17:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK, now we know the culprit

It is a rare set and that does drive up prices.

Would you be interested in 3 more coaches (and the box) if I buy the set elsewhere? I'm only interested in the loco

Doug,

Depends on how much.

woolwinder

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wouldn't class the set as rare and at the time I think it wasn't a great seller so perhaps as with a lot of these packs a fair number were split up and flogged off on ebay. I almost got a set but was put off by the naff Royal coaches.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i got a Nothern Belle with the Duchess of Sutherland (got it from the midland railway centre at Butterley with a track pack for 130 notes) but i don't think they do the coach pack to go with it. i have got the sleeper car that came out separately to go with it. I also have the Royal Train that came with the Princess Elizabeth for 100 notes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been to midland railway centre today. I have found out that the Princess Royal Locomotive class trust has got a duchess of sutherland royal train pack and it has the support coach and 2 royal coaches with the normal track layout. It is on sale for £159. Make the most of it!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts