Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I am considering changing my Dynamis to the NCE Powercab. Currently I use a Fleischmann turntable and have been trying to resolve the issue of an auto reverser with little success. I had considered the Onguard system or rhe PS version, but having been the the Alexandra Palace show am now feeling a bit crestfallen.

Having spoken to the guys at the Bachmann stand they acknowledge that their system is so sensitive and quick that it is unlikely any unit will work. Even their own won't (it was desigened for the earlier E-Z command). The guys from Digitrains pretty much confirmed this as well.

So I either stick with the Dynamis (which I have problems with anyway with lost signal) and forget the turntable or change.

I like the look of the Powercab with one reservation (my budget is a bit limited). I have read in previous items that the system will only retain two locos. What happens if I want to control a third? Does the first just stop?

As always many thanks in advance for any help.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Mark, yes unfortunately the Power Cab will only hold two recalls. NCE in it's effort to create such a small command station and fit it all in the hand piece had to forgo some aspects of it's bigger brother. To control a third loco it would be easier to add a second throttle such as a cab04P. The one other disadvantage of the Power Cab is that it has to remained fixed and cannot be moved around the layout. No problem I suppose on central well type layout as you could easily add a longer cable. For a larger layout of a more walk around style you could add a Smart Booster. This will increase you cabs from two to four and give you walk around capability as the Power Cab is no longer fixed to one point and the number of recalls is now six.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (digger1962 @ 30 Mar 2009, 03:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi.

I am considering changing my Dynamis to the NCE Powercab. Currently I use a Fleischmann turntable and have been trying to resolve the issue of an auto reverser with little success. I had considered the Onguard system or rhe PS version, but having been the the Alexandra Palace show am now feeling a bit crestfallen.

Having spoken to the guys at the Bachmann stand they acknowledge that their system is so sensitive and quick that it is unlikely any unit will work. Even their own won't (it was desigened for the earlier E-Z command). The guys from Digitrains pretty much confirmed this as well.

So I either stick with the Dynamis (which I have problems with anyway with lost signal) and forget the turntable or change.

I like the look of the Powercab with one reservation (my budget is a bit limited). I have read in previous items that the system will only retain two locos. What happens if I want to control a third? Does the first just stop?

As always many thanks in advance for any help.

Mark.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Mark,

The PowerCab will only hold two locos in the recall stack, so by pressing recall to swap between these two locos the speed and direction is remembered.
To select another loco you press the 'select loco' button, one of the other two locos in the recall stack will be dropped for this third loco.

The loco that has been dropped will still continue running, but to select it again you will need to use the 'select loco' button.
When selecting the loco this way none of the settings are remembered though, so as soon as you touch the speed control the loco could stop or just speed up. (it will continue doing what is was doing until you touch the speed control)

The PowerCab can only have 1 further cab connected to it, there are a choice of cabs available, I bought the Delux cab, which is basically the same hand held controller as the Powercab.
By having two of these units you can store two locos in each cab so therefore have 4 locos that can be easily accessed with all speed and direction information remembered.
I've also bought the Smart Booster which means I can have a total of 4 cabs and they can all be completely disconnected from the layout and plugged in somewhere else.

I initially thought the 2 locos in the recall was a big issue, and I've asked NCE if they could reduce the amount of Macros(routes) to allow more locos in the recall stack.( No Reply to that one)
The PowerPro system can only have 6 in the recall stack, which is not very many at all compared to some systems. Lets be right though you really would need a huge layout to switch between 6 locos all running at the same time!
To be honest though it's not been an issue, maybe because I only have a small twin loop layout so I can quite easily set two locos off round the loops and then use the select loco button to select a third loco for shunting in the siding.
Although saying that, I now just pick-up the extra cab and use that.

Any more info just ask.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts