Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time at Warley this year speaking to the guy who sells the modular ply/MDF baseboards. Expensive and, in any case, I'm already too far advanced on the one I am building but he has some excellent ideas. One I would likew to follow up is the use of what he caled Tee bolts and Tee nuts, the latter with finger tightening capabilities and of M8 size. Where do you find these things? Can't see anything in Squires - but he doesn't do fixings. So is there someone in the Model railway world who stocks these things?

His other great idea, from the P4 guys he says, is to stop uning track pins for track and just use double sided sticky tape. Anyone tried that?

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE (1ngram @ 2 Dec 2008, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I spent some time at Warley this year speaking to the guy who sells the modular ply/MDF baseboards. Expensive and, in any case, I'm already too far advanced on the one I am building but he has some excellent ideas. One I would likew to follow up is the use of what he caled Tee bolts and Tee nuts, the latter with finger tightening capabilities and of M8 size. Where do you find these things? Can't see anything in Squires - but he doesn't do fixings. So is there someone in the Model railway world who stocks these things?

His other great idea, from the P4 guys he says, is to stop uning track pins for track and just use double sided sticky tape. Anyone tried that?
Hi
I have always used M6 thread.
This supplier sells Tee nuts Tee nuts
or even good old ebay
ebay Tee nuts
As for the Tee bolt, can't say I can see any advantage using them? I have used M6 gutter bolts (full thread) or M6 machine screws (again full thread) and even M6 ordinary bolts too.
I cant see any reason to have larger sizes, as the M6 pulls up well and is very rigid too.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The "Tee" nut when tightened stay's put in the same manner a captive one does & is a very useful piece fixing hardware.

H & M Baseboards, The Model Shop at Woodchurch Nr Ashford Kent have them & lots of other useful hardware in stock.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Your local Focus DIY should stock M6 and M8. Otherwise Screwfix has a huge range of fixings if that is more convenient than Kent. These things are heavy to post.
I only checked this thread out originally because I thought it was a mis-type for M7!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I bought some M6 bolts and tee nuts from Screwfix. Probably about the cheapest if you need a large-ish number of them.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Fair enough, but if you go to a Screwfix trade counter you don't pay the P&P and you don't have to wait.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to come back to this as ignorant as I was when I started this thread but I'm now assembling my 4' modular sections for my layout and seriously wondering how best to connect them. Looking at the photos of the T nuts they aren't what I thought they were. I need to dismantle the layout time and time again so nuts which stick into the wood/MDF are surely not what I want. I really want nuts which are finger tightening - don't I so that I can manipulate the layout coards to fit exactly when i put them together and easily inscrew them to put them away? What are these things called and can you get THEM at Screwfix? Or where from?

As for the bolts I thought they were called T bolts because the had a head that wasnt round or hexagonal but T shaped so that you could hold them with one hand while you twiddles the finger nuts with the other.

Or have I got the whole thing the wrong way round? Is it that the nuts once in the wood stay where they are and it is the bolts which allow finger manipulation?

Then once I can get my head round what is happening here where to get all this stuff?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I think it may be 'Wingnuts' that you need to look for - see Screwfix parts 17304, 18875 and 17272 for M6, M8 and M10 for example.

Regards,
John Webb

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
As John says "wingnuts" are what you want - if you don't need enough to justify using Screwfix then your local ironmongers (if you are lucky enough to still have one) will stock them, failing that then there's always B & Q/Wickes ect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts