Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Brian - this is a brilliant concept. I have just returned from Screwfix with the magnets and converted 2 wagons with Hornby couplers. I separated the staple from the coupler with black plasticard. It works perfectly with one modification. I had to separate the magnets by about 5 cm to make it work. This may be because I have used too long a staple. Little bit of development work may be needed but in principle it does the job.

As a reborn railway modeller (after 40 years) I am starting from scratch and was wondering how to automate de-coupling in an affordable way.. You have solved the problem. Many thanks.

Keith

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am wrestling with the problem of retro fitting the magnets to already laid track. I would prefer not to lift track to cut a hole in the cork underlay. Ideally it might be possible to cut a hole from underneath the baseboard but this will be a problem with 12mm chipboard.

Only way that seems possible is to cut out some sleepers between the rails to give access to 3mm cork below. Insert the magnets and glue the sleepers back.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Cheers

Keith

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seeing this thread re-activated reminded me that I have a video of the Kirby coupler in action. It may be of use for those contemplating fitting it. You can see it on youtube

I have fitted it to the majority of my rolling stock and it makes shunting a dream. You have to think carefully where to place the uncouplers - maybe 2 in a siding or a station run through.

retro fitting is relatively easy. Cut out 4 or 5 sleepers, excavate between the rails with a sharp chisel and cover the magnets with fresh sleepers.

Thanks once again for this invention Brian

Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.