Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really brilliant This is what the forums are about.Simple effective unexpensive ideas.I will add my bit to it.I got a strip of shower door magnetic plastic strip and it just fitted at rail level on code 100 rail on code75 I trimmed groves in it to fit between the sleepers, took about 2 minutes for a 3inch strip 2 blobs of glue it was done works like a dream.Perfect in hidden sidings.For me it is good in station areas as well depends on your own feelings on that though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seeing this thread re-activated reminded me that I have a video of the Kirby coupler in action. It may be of use for those contemplating fitting it. You can see it on youtube

I have fitted it to the majority of my rolling stock and it makes shunting a dream. You have to think carefully where to place the uncouplers - maybe 2 in a siding or a station run through.

retro fitting is relatively easy. Cut out 4 or 5 sleepers, excavate between the rails with a sharp chisel and cover the magnets with fresh sleepers.

Thanks once again for this invention Brian

Keith

·
In depth idiot
8,604 Posts
Likewise, having seen this thread re-activated, I will add my happy discovery, that the Kadee permanent magnet (I use Kadees for corridor coaches) works the Kirby modified Bachmann tension lock perfectly. Now that is a win.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks for the tip. I now use magnets from Magnet Expert Ltd www.first4magnets.com theit part number F4642. These are incredibly powerful 5mm dia x 10mm long cylindrical magnets, which, used in pairs, can be fitted from the top of the baseboard. Just drill two 5.2mm holes with 4 sleepers (and three spaces) between them and bob them in foom the top. Cover with a few grains of ballast and mark the position on the sleeper ends. The magnets come in packs of 10 at £2.85 + VAT and postage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
After seeing it a Stockport Show and following some experiments my club has decided to try this sytsem in the goods yard on a layout .
There are some YouTube at
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDNjtpd9iKY...feature=related
and
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php...05&start=75
and
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...t=0&start=0

Using the staple soldered to the dropper method we found that using 2 rod magnets set the correct distance apart worked better than a bar magnet as thay only pulled at the end of the staples. They were also easier to fit just reguring two 5mm holed between the sleepers.
We bought the magnets 5mm dia by 10mm long from http://e-magnetsuk.com/magnet_products/neo...od_magnets.aspx although they are currently out of stock there and a we need more are currently looking elseware.

Being impressed with the strength of modern magents I am thinking of trying 4mm dia disc on modified hard to couple 3 link couplings on some O gauge stock.
Kev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, I have just uploaded my design of delayed uncoupler incorporating your design Mr Kirby (for which thanks!!!), and adding a latching mechanism for standard couplings.... its here.. .
Let me know what you think! I'm right chuffed to get it finally woring after several years of trying!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm going to install a modified version of this great system on my new layout using electromagnets as when I did experiments I had a few issues with uncontrolled uncoupling of wagons on the rear of the train with fixed magnets as I have ultra free running lightweight wagons (so I can run 40 odd wagons on one train).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi All,

I'm a noob to all this, but this looks very interesting.

Most of my rolling stock is older hornby and it has (I don't know what you would officially call it) the wider bar for connecting the coupling hooks too.

My question is, can those hooks be replaced directly with the Bachmann non-ferrous coupling hook?

Looking at some pictures and my stock, I can not see how you could replace the entire thing with the newer (NEM?) units?

However, I have some Bachmann carriages and my magnets arrived yesterday. So all I need is a bit of super glue and ill be converting those to see how it works

Thanks

Chris

·
Hucknall Byron
55 Posts
Just another thumbs up for Brian Kirbys uncoupling system.To form my version of the staple use I just twisted it so the legs were at 45 degrees then formed a hook in one leg.
This was then just hung on the tail of the coupling.A spot of superglue completes the job. I use the magnet experts cylinder magnets in the same way as a previous poster.
In my opinion this is a brilliant idea and so easy and cheap to do. I would recommend it to anyone.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.