Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all! Am sciving off work at the mo and need your help.

Does anyone know were I can get hold of any silver jubile kits?

My brother is building the corination rake and I would like sonething different.

Also, this is a great forum!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mailcoach (as the thread title suggests) used to do a set. Their website still indicates that you can contact them, though I have no idea if they do still supply them. Bill Bedford does the set - I think it's a complete one - though his kits ar eat the top end, price-wise. I've never built one although they have a good reputation. They are etched brass, so you'd need to solder them. His website is http://www.mousa.uk.com/.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Don't Comet Kits do them as well ?

They do have a web site with lots of info , the title escapes me now but you'll find it on Google.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
the mailcoach kits are not top end price-wise. they are about £25 for a twin. they are not beginners kits but they can be made to look good if care and patience is taken. the silver jubilee kit is not technically available but f you talk to them they will sell you the parts and tell you how to kitbash it from the coronation kit.

comet dont do a silver jubilee.

i have done/doing a coronation rake at the moment. i will send pictures next week. or if you live in london you can always pop over and say hello.

peter

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Bro at the top is my brother who doesn't have a computer at home so will pass along the info. I to am building the Coronation set and so far have only completed the Beavertail and the A4 to go on the front of them. The only problem I've found with this project so far is that after going to all the trouble of getting Marlborough Blue to paint them with it looked far to dark compared to the pictures I've seen so I've gone with a much lighter blue from the Humbrol range, may not be right but looks closer than what I had. I've also gone for black roofs as most of the pictures I have of it show it that way, They must of given up trying to keep the roofs silver. Another change from the kits instructions I've made is to use the old Hornby Greasly bogies with Bachmann turned coach wheels instead of the ones supplied which in my Beavertail kit looked very much like the moulds needed putting out to pasture.
Arethusa

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
here are the pics i promised.

they are not as recent as i thought they were. things have come on alot since i took them.

i am currently working on the interiors and getting them on the wheels. i am persevearing with the kirk bogies but i can feel a call to MJT brewing.

the first pic is with my mallard. the most recent bachmann version. (a very nice present from my father and purchased a the york railfest.)
Peter

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pics and help about talking to mail coach, will give them a call.

It looks like we could all have some exiting times running our rakes, would love to pop in to see yours but as I live under the Humber Bridge its a bit far to drop in for a cuppa!

Will post some pics as and when I get my project underway

Enjoy your modelling till then

Bro Sewell

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i sprayed the interior and removed the window maksing from the inside last night. and a couple of days ago i sprayed the underframe LNER battleship grey.
they look much better now.
i took some pictures last night but typical i left the memory card at home!
i have to paint the people for the interior. i laready have a pack of presier people but i havent got around to painting them yet.
then i have to do the decals. I HATE DECALS!!!!!!! i always get a residue around them that looks bad. maybe i will have better luck this time.

peter

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Peter, what transfers are you using? I've got Fox transfers for mine and if applied to a gloss surface they leave no "halo" around them and I can't even see the carrier film between the letters and numbers. What colour have you used for the lighter blue? In the pictures it looks the same as the one I used (Humbrol No.65) as a substitute for marlborough blue that I felt looked too dark.
Arethusa

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The link below takes you straight to the current manufacturer Cooper Craft who now produce and sell the kits. Note that you cannot buy the kits at Tesco just in case some of you get extremely excited by the fact that Tesco are featured in the link! It would make the weekly shop rather more interesting though if this was the case!
:-

http://homepages.tesco.net/tony.brown/coop....html#mailcoach

Note that a well made kit will sell for rather more than the cost of the parts so there is definitely demand from RTR modellers for this coach set if you decide that you no longer require the completed model .

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Shame Tesco don't sell them, I'd rather like a bit of staff discount on something useful like a set of coaches.
Arethusa

·
Registered
34 Posts
Which Marlborough Blue did you use? I used the Precision Paints one on my set and it looks lighter than the Humbrol colour on the photos you've posted. That said I've taken about 5 years to build up the set as far as I have so they may have changed the mix.

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the link Gary, but they still dont list the Silver Jubile kits that I am after. it may take me a while before I get this project into the errection shop let alone into service!

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
As Pedromorgan has said if you talk to Cooper Craft they will sell you the parts to enable you to kit bash a Silver Jubilee coach set. The 3 coach articulated unit is the real issue however this can be "manufactured".

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello evryone.

the transfers i have are the fox ones. i am getting better but i always dread the possibility of ruining the paintwork (which i am very proud of!!)

paint - the paint i have used is the phoenix. marlborough blue for the upper and garter for the lower bodysides. the underframe is painted LNER battleship grey. the grey is not strictly correct but i thought it was a good comprimise and it will also make it look better with my W1 when thats finished.

gary, i noticed the resell prices! there are things on this rake i would have done differently and i am thinking i might well sell it when its finished and do another one for myself. i am not happy wityh the masking around the windows. its ok but could do better.

a couple of tips for those of you who are planning either a corrie or a jubilee. you will need to scratch the sides with a glass brush or fine emery paper in order to get the paint to stick to the very glossy sides.

buyu the isinglass prints. they contain far more detain about the interiors than the kirk/cooper instructions and also tell you EXACTLY where to put the transfers. (they are also beautifull drawings.)

i alwyas find it interesting when people find colours lighter/darker than they remember it.
i think people are influinced buy many factors such as lighting and pictures (often black and white) the one think people dont want to admit is that their eyes have aged and are not as sensative to colour as they once were. to counter this i have a small collection of modern image paint chips sitting in matchboxes in a box under my bed. i wish i could have taken some from the grouping era but alas. (i do however have one from the royal train - dont ask!)

Peter

P.S. i am going to do a jubilee after this. but only if hornby do a silver streak. (GET ON WITH IT!!!!!!!!!)

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Peter, I totally agree with you on the shades if colour and how people remember them, however as my Father wasn,t even an itch in his dads pants when the Coronation was running I'm not in a position to remember it. What I have seen is a lot of black and white pictures which is no way to really judge the shade and a peice of film that was used in the T.V. series "Speed Machines" which shows the set some time I assume is later in it's life. Whilst the resolution isn't good enough to make out the locos number you can see that it is wearing the "economy" Garter Blue livery with no chrome/stainless trim and red and gold transfers, the set itself also seems to have had the roof painted dark grey or black.
Going back to the colours I've used verses the colours you've used, when I sprayed the first coach with Phoenix Marlborough Blue it looked too close to the Garter Blue of the Bachman A4 I'd just renumbered 4492 Dominion of New Zealand and I felt that I wasn't going to get the contrast between the two colours so of I went to find a shade that was a little lighter. Then I see the pictures that you posted here and the Marlborough Blue you used looks exactly the same as the Humbrol 65 I used, just out of interest does the colour look the same on your monitor as it does on your coaches? if so it must just have been a bad batch of paint that I had.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello 5696

if anything the marlborough blue is slightly lighter than it is shown in the pictures. it would seem that you had a tin from a duff batch. how far have you got with the painting? try giving them a call (they are quite nice when they are not busy!)

i am still trying to get RELIABLE information on the roof. weather it was painted grey, black or weather it just weathered very fast. the LNER used white for their roofs because it was the hardest wearing paint at the time. but with all the smoke it didnt stay white for very long! it is interesting to point out that the express was only really in service for about 2 years before the war broke out. after the war the stock was dispersed very quickly. so it seems unlikly that the roof or the underframe would be repainted in such a short period of time.

a freind of mine aparently has a casting for the beaver tail. i am going to wait and see if it is a better match to the origional than the mailcoach moulding.

peter

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Peter
My Beavertail is now in running condition though it's lacking the buffers on the streamlined end as I felt the ones supplied were to poor to fit. I've yet to purchase let alone start the construction of of the rest of the rake as I wanted o see what the Beavertail built up like before making up my mind as to whether or not I'd get them or scratch build them.
When do you think you'll get a look at your friends Beavertail? If it is a lot better than the mailcoach kit then do you reckon he (I assume it's a he) would be willing to sell me one? then I might have to postpone the rest of the rake and try the Phoenix Marlborough again. If not then I'm stuck with the colours I've already used which after seeing yours I'm quite happy with.

Arethusa

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts

i honestly dont know if he will sell one. i havent even seen one yet. i am going to see him tomorrow afternoon so i should get my hands on one then. he said ont he phone that it has the raised "CORONATION" letters on the end which is already better than the mailcoach mouldings. and i am hopeing it has the windows are right because they are very wrong on the moulding. they are a wraparound type on the prototype but on the moulding you just get the end 2.

peter

1 - 20 of 31 Posts