Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Bro at the top is my brother who doesn't have a computer at home so will pass along the info. I to am building the Coronation set and so far have only completed the Beavertail and the A4 to go on the front of them. The only problem I've found with this project so far is that after going to all the trouble of getting Marlborough Blue to paint them with it looked far to dark compared to the pictures I've seen so I've gone with a much lighter blue from the Humbrol range, may not be right but looks closer than what I had. I've also gone for black roofs as most of the pictures I have of it show it that way, They must of given up trying to keep the roofs silver. Another change from the kits instructions I've made is to use the old Hornby Greasly bogies with Bachmann turned coach wheels instead of the ones supplied which in my Beavertail kit looked very much like the moulds needed putting out to pasture.
Arethusa

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Peter, what transfers are you using? I've got Fox transfers for mine and if applied to a gloss surface they leave no "halo" around them and I can't even see the carrier film between the letters and numbers. What colour have you used for the lighter blue? In the pictures it looks the same as the one I used (Humbrol No.65) as a substitute for marlborough blue that I felt looked too dark.
Arethusa

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Shame Tesco don't sell them, I'd rather like a bit of staff discount on something useful like a set of coaches.
Arethusa

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Peter, I totally agree with you on the shades if colour and how people remember them, however as my Father wasn,t even an itch in his dads pants when the Coronation was running I'm not in a position to remember it. What I have seen is a lot of black and white pictures which is no way to really judge the shade and a peice of film that was used in the T.V. series "Speed Machines" which shows the set some time I assume is later in it's life. Whilst the resolution isn't good enough to make out the locos number you can see that it is wearing the "economy" Garter Blue livery with no chrome/stainless trim and red and gold transfers, the set itself also seems to have had the roof painted dark grey or black.
Going back to the colours I've used verses the colours you've used, when I sprayed the first coach with Phoenix Marlborough Blue it looked too close to the Garter Blue of the Bachman A4 I'd just renumbered 4492 Dominion of New Zealand and I felt that I wasn't going to get the contrast between the two colours so of I went to find a shade that was a little lighter. Then I see the pictures that you posted here and the Marlborough Blue you used looks exactly the same as the Humbrol 65 I used, just out of interest does the colour look the same on your monitor as it does on your coaches? if so it must just have been a bad batch of paint that I had.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Peter
My Beavertail is now in running condition though it's lacking the buffers on the streamlined end as I felt the ones supplied were to poor to fit. I've yet to purchase let alone start the construction of of the rest of the rake as I wanted o see what the Beavertail built up like before making up my mind as to whether or not I'd get them or scratch build them.
When do you think you'll get a look at your friends Beavertail? If it is a lot better than the mailcoach kit then do you reckon he (I assume it's a he) would be willing to sell me one? then I might have to postpone the rest of the rake and try the Phoenix Marlborough again. If not then I'm stuck with the colours I've already used which after seeing yours I'm quite happy with.

Arethusa

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Peter,
The time on your post shows you keep silly hours as well. It's not just the lack of wrap around windows that let the kit down the whole shape of the end is just wrong but for the time being I'll make do as I'm only just getting into scratch building with buildings some of which are available to view here:-http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/andii_sewell...um?.dir=61ebscd
sorry to repeat the link that's in another thread but I now think that that one has seen all the traffic that it's going to.
I'm just about to make the step from detailing some of the older generation of Hornby, Bachmann and Mainline locos to using some rtr components to scratch build an A4 front P2 which I intend to put on the front of a set of Mailcoach kit Gresley tourist stock, should make quite an interesting combination to run on my brothers layout when we take it out on exhibition, can't wait to hear all the less involved peoples confusion about "that Mallard class looks wrong?"

Have you got the Transfers on yet? If so how's it gone?
Arethusa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.