Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Peter,
The time on your post shows you keep silly hours as well. It's not just the lack of wrap around windows that let the kit down the whole shape of the end is just wrong but for the time being I'll make do as I'm only just getting into scratch building with buildings some of which are available to view here:-http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/andii_sewell...um?.dir=61ebscd
sorry to repeat the link that's in another thread but I now think that that one has seen all the traffic that it's going to.
I'm just about to make the step from detailing some of the older generation of Hornby, Bachmann and Mainline locos to using some rtr components to scratch build an A4 front P2 which I intend to put on the front of a set of Mailcoach kit Gresley tourist stock, should make quite an interesting combination to run on my brothers layout when we take it out on exhibition, can't wait to hear all the less involved peoples confusion about "that Mallard class looks wrong?"

Have you got the Transfers on yet? If so how's it gone?
Arethusa

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Arethusa

yes its my job to switch on the station in the morning! once i have done that i surf the net untill i am ready to do the live broadcast from the commons then i hang about untill 2.30 then i go home!

i havent got the transfers on yet. thats the next job! i have found some good drawings showing exactly where they should go which i am chuffed to beans about. i thought it was going to be a best guess!

the end. right the pieces are made by Mike Radford of mark models. there are 3 castings the bottom one covers the bufferbeam below the chassis. the next one covers from the chassis to the window sill and the other one is the roof. its left to your emagination to produce the wondow frames. i have a set but i havent decided weather to use them yet. if you call him on 0208 440 5918 and say Peter Morgan told you about them. i think he will charge you about 3 quid for them. so if you do use them then you have got a better end if you dont you have only lost 3 quid! and gained something really fascinating for that box of bits in the corner!

i cant make your link work. it just takes me to my attachments rather than yours.

peter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi i'm doing a Coronation set at the mo, ive done the BT/KT,FO/FO with Bachman's Dominion of Canada at the front. I'll be really interested in your progress and on the Silver Jubillee, that will be my next project after the Coronation, i'll probably go down the Bill Bedford route, ive done a couple of Comet/D&S kits so my soldering should be up to it.

Paul

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good news folks! I just ordered with Cooper Craft my silver Jubilee Set, the last one in stock, how lucky was that.

I will post some picures as soon as I get started, but that will not be until next year now as christmas is coming and work will keep me to busy and I will need to get some hornby gresley bogies off east kent models (unless someone has some spare) and the wheel sets

It also gives me something to use my new airbrush on!!

Will keep you updated as it progresses

Bro Sewell

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hello bro.

make sure you get some practice with your airbrush before tackelling a mailcoach kit. the very glossy sides make it very difficult to ge tthe paint to stick. i would not recomment doing the mailcoach kit as a first time airbrusher.

i masked off the windows with maskol but if i was doing another set i would do it differently. do all the vertical masking from the cantrail to the solebar masking off all the windows then put another piece across the waistline so you are just spraying the pieces between the windows. then spray the bottom half of the coach sseperatly, maksing off the entire top half. when you remove the masking all the lined from the edge of the masking tape should be on the waist line of on the window frames which you are going to go over with a bow pen anyway!

I heard there might be a brass one on the wway so i am holding off from a jubilee.

Dont trust the mailcoach instructions. do you have a set of isinglass drawings to work from? they also include notes that will help you a great deal. as well as telling you exactly where to put the transfers!

Out of interest, which airbrush did you get?
Are you near london? i would be happy to show you my corrie.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Top advice on the airbrushing there from Pedro.

Also watch out for paint creep under any masking used. Several thin layers are much better than one or two thick layers as this reduces the risk of masking creep which on the clear plastic is tricky to clean off without marking the window. Careful when you pull the masking away as this can cause the paint edge to have a flakey appearance around the windows. Maybe a thin coat of grey primer should be used first and lightly sanded, carefully avoiding any detail, as a key?

We should have a seperate topic on airbrushing as I am sure there is a lot we can share on this subject.

Take care with the interior of the kit as you will need to make sure the right compartments are in the right coaches. Window/interior matching helps here.

I have seen a few Mailcoach kit paint jobs in my time and some have been exceptional and some have been on the heavy side and having the issues mentioned above.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi all, lots of good discussion here, will put some of the masking tips to use.

I should make of made it clearer that when I said it was my new airbrush, I didnt mean I hadnt used one before, this will be my 6th but I will not be using 'camping gas' this time as I hope to have my compersor working by then (some of you may remember this from another thread!!)

The kit does have instuctions but they are from Ian Kirk Kits so not expecting them to very good but as long as it all goes together it it will be fine, it will just come down to my skills (or lack of!!)

If anyone has any pic's I wolud like to see them

Brian

(Bro)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.