Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yesterday, I got an e-mail from Hornby, who very kindly replied with regards to this year's Mail Order train packs- there are going to be four:

R2597= The Bristolian, containing 7037 "Swindon" and three chocolate and cream Mk. 1 coaches

R2598= The Derby Royal train, containing rebuilt BoB 34088 "213 Sqn." and three new type Pullmans

R2599= The Night Scotsman- A3 60048 "Doncaster" and three blood and custard ex-LNER sleepers.

The above will be L/E of 1500.

Hornby are also going to release R2700- a special set harking back to the days of Triang TT, when Triang sold 300 gold plated MNs to Kays. The new set will consist of a Rebuilt MN in Gold, with a gold-plated Pullman for it to haul. Only 300 sets will ever be made, so be quick- order as soon as they appear in the Autumn retail catalogues.

The "normal" packs will retail at £125, the gold set at £175.

I can see this one going up in value massively!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (spongebob @ 1 Apr 2006, 17:36)The Derby royal and night scotsman grab my attention and I might start saving for one of them. Not sure the Bristolian is up to the spec of the other 2 yet it comands the same price??? I assume the sleepers will be the new type?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, new type sleepers. I'm looking forward to all three (The Bristolian just 'caase I need a model of 7037), but I am over the moon about the Derby day set. I've been waiting for 213 Sqn. for years now, and to see it in the condition I've always wanted to see it in (doing the Derby, 1963), well! Fantastic!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I go to the land o'nod, I must point out that it were an April Fool.

The gold MN should have been a giveaway!

Sorry if that inconvenienced anyone- I would have desperately loved to have seen all three this year (an idea for you, Mr. Kohler, please do 'em!)- fantasy, the last resort.

I apologise once again if it caught anyone unawares...

Happy fooling for next year!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must agree with Mr. Spongebob, retailers are v. good. I got a couple of 1500 runs for £80-£110 each. It is always best to wait and see if somewhere like Rails has 'em- this year, they have been selling the packs off for £79.50 (Royal Duchy, Manxman, Silver Fox etc.)

I wonder what we'll get this year pack-wise?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 2 Apr 2006, 10:03)Well you had me hook line and sinker.

Nice one!

Now send you ideas to SK and he might actually go with them!

Happy modelling
Gary
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you know how I might be able to contact him via e-mail?

I shall most certainly send the ideas along- I'd buy all three!

(If only I had da money...)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Gary. Will PM him, and point out that we, the forumites, quite like the ideas for the three sets.

Who knows- Argos could be selling products that started life as a first of April joke?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have sent a "PM" to Simon Kohler, pointing out that you guys really liked the ideas (including the gold Merchant Navy :) ). If we can get some more supporters of the packs, Mr. Kohler may see that we would love a "Night Scotsman", "Derby Royal" (My favourite) and a "Bristolian" set. Will post a version of his response ASAP.

I'm glad that the April joke worked so well- part of the reason was probably because all the sets (here's something for Mr. Kohler) seemed marketable- the Derby day set because it has Royal Connections, the "Night Scotsman" because of the tenuous "Scotsman" connection, and the Bristolian because 7037 was the final Castle built at Swindon, and it was named by HRH (as she then was) Princess Elizabeth in 1950.

Since the Revuilt BoB may not be available, I also suggested another option- "The Bournemouth Belle" as it was circa 1967- pristine but unamed MN (either 35008 or 35028 was my suggestion), and some Pullmans cascaded down from the ER.

Hopefully, we'll see these packs (including the gold Merchant Navy) in the not-too-distant future...

RM

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
QUOTE (spongebob @ 2 Apr 2006, 17:11)Don't forget though that mail order sets ordered from the catalogue are always at full whack price so maybe £125 is about right, i can't remember last years prices.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, prices ranged from £65 (Littlewoods post Christmas) to £135.

"Manky old coaches"- I didn't specify in the pm the "Night Scotsman" coaches- so be warned. Also of note is that the Derby Royal Pullmans might be more accurate as the older ones- I don't know though. (Could be like Thanet Belle pack, though I hope not!!)

I'd say £125 is about right for for the second two- Hornby packs are often worth more than their actual cost (Northumbrian being an example) at RRP prices (£90+£28+£28+£28 or thereabouts for Northumbrian).

Under current Hornby prices, even the Bristolian (in my spoof!) seems good value- £90 for the castle, £17.50 for the Mk. 1s!

Still, let us hope that Mr. Kohler sees fit to produce 'em all.
(Especially the gold MN! :) )

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
QUOTE (Jennings @ 2 Apr 2006, 19:36)I am liking the gold MN pack here certainly. It would be more of a colectors item as i don't see how people could run it on their layout (Might stand out ... a bit)

Not sure on the other packs as i don't really model in that era. For steam fans though there is a nice mix there that would keep everyone happy.

Here ... Class 50 D400 and 3 mk2 NSE coaches (Pristine) would do me fine.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about "best of both"?

Something like: 45231+ MHR "Green train" Mk. 2 TSOs and BFK (or 1 TSO, 1 bFK and Mk. 1 RMB).

The Excalibur Express sold very well (on that theme).

Roll on the gold MN Mr. Kohler, roll on...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Please can we get this thread back on track? Interesting though it may be, discussing Dapol and Parkside kits isn't exactly relevant to mail-order train packs, is it?

Sorry if that sounds harsh or anything, but ee by gum! OT Threads get on my nerves!

RM

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Jennings @ 3 Apr 2006, 20:14)I'd like to see more packs that have some of the new diesels Hornby have done. There has been lots of packs containing new steam engines but what about us modern image fans? We are still getting the older locos in packs that are in dire need of being improved.

For suggestions what about a pack containing a class 60 and 3 TEA tankers or a Class 31 and 3 seacows or as i allready suggested a 50 and 3 Mk2 coaches.

Or if Hornby wanted to what about upgrading the 466 and turning it into a 465 train pack? Would fill a gap on many peoples layouts and i would certainly get one.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about a Frag. 31+ Top'n'tail Mk. 2s? Or Wessex pink 31?
50017 in LMS + stock? :) :) NSE 50 (late but pristine) + NSEs Mk. 1s/2s?
60 on railtour? 60 + car carriers? 60 + TEAs? 60+ 5/6 TTAs?

What about the steam railtour suggestion? Would suit both, as includes steamer, and includes modern stock. The Excalibur Express seems to have done well, and I like it!

I think Hornby "don't do" modern image 1,500 runs because they don't(arguably, not my opinion though!) have the same appeal. Most of those 1,500 packs go to Mail Order companies, and to your uneducated person, buying for Dad, son or husband, a "Class 60" means only what the Argos (etc.) catalogue says. A steamer conjures up "Dad's old train set" and "The old days- like it was when I was a kid." This happened recently, when I got the opportunity to exhibit some of my hacked about stock in public. Only one steamer (a railtour loco!) was there, but most people identified with it o'er the others- because it was a steam engine. The same is why most trains are B.R. sets- more people remeber the B.R. era, and there were more expresses for manufacturers to choose!

May I offer a soution? How about one of each:

"Derby Royal- 1963"= 34088 (213 Sqn. ) + three Pullmans for B.R. steam.
"Royal Scot- 1930s"= Duchess of Athol + three Stanier coaches in Crimson Lake for pre-1948
Wessex trains" with Pink Cl. 31 plus 3 Wessex Mk. 2s for modern image.

That O.K.?

RM

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
QUOTE (Jennings @ 4 Apr 2006, 07:27)The ideas above are certainly ones for Hornby to consider in the future as i'm sure they will be at least one pack there that people given the choice would buy at least 1 of them. I think your suggestion for a Black 5 and Green mk2's should be added as well as looking at steam dreams railtour list this year most of them are with a Black 5 so this could be a popular seller.

It would be nice to see the 'Pink Train' in OO as i think with Hornby;s current standards it would look stunning. Afterall they are doing 31452 this year so all we need is the 5 mk2's (3 standards and 2 brakes) plus the other 31 and we have a complete train then - 3 coaches in the train pack and 2 sold separately in case people don't want the 31.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Received e-mail from SK today.

Alas, no gold WC or MN- if it were to be produced, he says it would cost more @RRP than our £175 estimate. Nothing saying Yes or No with regards to others (From April gag!), just "I'm sure all these packs will appear in the near future."

So- may I suggest to Mr. Kohler the revised "Something for everyone" list (Wessex Trains pink 31 + 1 BSO and 2 TSOs, 34088+ 3 Pullmans and Royal Scot train pack).

I think Hornby do occasionally produce more than 3 packs per year. If so, the MHR 45231 plus green Mk. 2s would go down a storm!

Kind Regards,

RM

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 22 Nov 2006, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With the improvements Hornby have made to the running gear and overall finish of these models over the years the current models offered are well ahead of the examples offered even 10 years ago.

It seems silly that Hornby should invest money into tooling for a new version of an existing model when the current versions still sell well and when there are gaping holes in their range elsewhere such as small and medium size steam locomotives and diesels for which they currently do not offer examples such as the Class 66.

Not everybody wants a loco with a lot of fragile detail. Familes with younger children for example.

And the older Hornby locos still run on R1 curved track which is fundemental to loco choice for an amazing number of railway modellers! Yes really!

Happy modelling
Gary

I think, Gary, that Hornby can't produce a class 66 anyway because Bachmann own the OO rights from EMD.

I suppose that Hornby haven't introduced the Lima versions because doing so would require extra work on Hornby's part - new motors/improved details et cetera. Given that Bachmann do 37s of both types and Heljan and Bachmann produce/have produced super detail class 47s, it isn't worth their while to do up the ex-Lima 37s and 47s and present them as locos for modellers when Hornby can get more mileage out of the 121/73/67 which are Lima's better models and are unopposed by better competition. As regards the HST, perhaps Hornby know something we don't...

... or, if nothing else, Hornby don't see the point in upgrading the Lima model when they are producing HSTs for collectors and the train-set market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts