Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
The Derby royal and night scotsman grab my attention and I might start saving for one of them. Not sure the Bristolian is up to the spec of the other 2 yet it comands the same price??? I assume the sleepers will be the new type?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hmm thought it was a bit early in the year for letting that out of the bag.
On a serious note though if anyone is interested in any of the mail order sets and doesn't have access to a Great Universal catalogue contact your nearest hornby collectors centre as they can obtain very limited quantities of any limited editions. Possibly might save a few quid and a long wait too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You certainly can create your own sleeper rake. rails are advertising through their email the sleeper in both liveries for £19.99 each. Add to that Windsor Lad from last years range and hey presto one early 1950's set. Admittedly slightly more than £125 which should've probably been the other give away.

·
Registered
763 Posts
More likely to see the usual brand new loco with manky old coaches to offset the price issue. Thats the trouble with mail order like Great universal and Argos you don't always know exactly what is in the box as they haven't got a clue either.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Don't forget though that mail order sets ordered from the catalogue are always at full whack price so maybe £125 is about right, i can't remember last years prices.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The newer hornby mk1's also have or should have flush glazing though this looks a bit odd on them. They are long in the tooth as are the early mk2's which are also about to be overtaken by bachmann. It's not as if they are a lot cheaper either. as far as unnumbered roling stock goes hornby did the old sorty mk3's without numbers and several loco's with choices as well. Its amazing how many never even got the numbers put on them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've not done a dapol kit but I have done a couple of Parkside ones. One message for kit manufacturers exploded diagrams please. We aren't all brilliant at the technical names of bits and it isn't to difficult to knock together a diagram is it?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Being airfix based do they come with exploded diagrams or is it a case of work it out yourself? I do like the parkside ones as they come with Romford wheels but as I say pictures seem to be beyond them. I fancy doing one of the LNER articulated sets as Wakefield models have some kits of them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hmm sound right up my street. If they go together as badly as the old airfix kits used to do it could make for some interesting rolling stock. I did fancy doing a turntable kit, maybe for a preserved branch line too. Welcome to the forum by the way fellow Bratfuddian!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sorry to have gone off the track of what if i remember rightly started out as an April fools gag then went off track and became a wish list for every conceivable train pack under the sun. Sorry again for derailing an already derailed thread.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Over here since the dawn of time 1 or 2 catalogue companies in a bid to cash in on the hobby have done their own train sets or packs or sometimes loco's. Some are rare, some are rubbish, now they have settled for doing a loco and 3 coaches. usually at full whack price but still cheaper than buying seperate. Trouble is you can't always tell what you're getting for definite. Last years grey A4 came with the old type gresley coaches, no one knew for definite until they got hold of one.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'd agree that the lima hst cars are a lot better looking than the old hornby ones. I don't know why it is that the hornby ones look a bit fat in the face and the windscreen too small. Add to that the chin detailing is all but invisible. As for lighting I have a pair of Great western cars one has headlights the other doesn't and my newly acquired virgin ones either don't have in either or the one with isn't working. I can't see them reintroducing the swallow livery as it is out of date and the only out of date livery hornby have stuck by to the point where if you wanted one you'd have bought one by now is the virgin livery. OUt of date, done to death and not worth a carrot. Have a change for a while and do the XC one for a bit if you must persist. Or GNER and try to get the colour right unlike the 225 mallard set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts