Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
QUOTE (spongebob @ 2 Apr 2006, 17:11)Don't forget though that mail order sets ordered from the catalogue are always at full whack price so maybe £125 is about right, i can't remember last years prices.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, prices ranged from £65 (Littlewoods post Christmas) to £135.

"Manky old coaches"- I didn't specify in the pm the "Night Scotsman" coaches- so be warned. Also of note is that the Derby Royal Pullmans might be more accurate as the older ones- I don't know though. (Could be like Thanet Belle pack, though I hope not!!)

I'd say £125 is about right for for the second two- Hornby packs are often worth more than their actual cost (Northumbrian being an example) at RRP prices (£90+£28+£28+£28 or thereabouts for Northumbrian).

Under current Hornby prices, even the Bristolian (in my spoof!) seems good value- £90 for the castle, £17.50 for the Mk. 1s!

Still, let us hope that Mr. Kohler sees fit to produce 'em all.
(Especially the gold MN! :) )

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am liking the gold MN pack here certainly. It would be more of a colectors item as i don't see how people could run it on their layout (Might stand out ... a bit)

Not sure on the other packs as i don't really model in that era. For steam fans though there is a nice mix there that would keep everyone happy.

Here ... Class 50 D400 and 3 mk2 NSE coaches (Pristine) would do me fine.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
QUOTE (Jennings @ 2 Apr 2006, 19:36)I am liking the gold MN pack here certainly. It would be more of a colectors item as i don't see how people could run it on their layout (Might stand out ... a bit)

Not sure on the other packs as i don't really model in that era. For steam fans though there is a nice mix there that would keep everyone happy.

Here ... Class 50 D400 and 3 mk2 NSE coaches (Pristine) would do me fine.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about "best of both"?

Something like: 45231+ MHR "Green train" Mk. 2 TSOs and BFK (or 1 TSO, 1 bFK and Mk. 1 RMB).

The Excalibur Express sold very well (on that theme).

Roll on the gold MN Mr. Kohler, roll on...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
How about some more 'one offs'. I picked up a black Princess yeterday,love Sunday shopping nobody about, and I didn't realise that it was a special 50th Annivesary model. I would like to see some more in a similar vein. It would be nice too if the train packs advertised in the 2006 catalogue come with the new run coaches especially the Mk1's. When I got my Pines Express pack, my first venture back into BR modelling, I compared the mk1's in the train pack to my surviving mk1 from 1966. I thought there may have been a few changes but no apart from the coupler mounted on the truck and finer flanges they were almost twins. So I'm hoping that the new mk1's are a vast improvement over the old ones. Another thing I'd like to see is unnumbered but decorated freight cars and passenger cars. When I modelled US trains you could buy from Athearn, Bachmann, Atlas, Walthers etc unnumbered rolling stock including locos. All you had to do was buy a decal sheet and add the number this way you could add some variance to your rolling stock list and not have the same numbered cars as your mates.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
763 Posts
The newer hornby mk1's also have or should have flush glazing though this looks a bit odd on them. They are long in the tooth as are the early mk2's which are also about to be overtaken by bachmann. It's not as if they are a lot cheaper either. as far as unnumbered roling stock goes hornby did the old sorty mk3's without numbers and several loco's with choices as well. Its amazing how many never even got the numbers put on them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've not done a dapol kit but I have done a couple of Parkside ones. One message for kit manufacturers exploded diagrams please. We aren't all brilliant at the technical names of bits and it isn't to difficult to knock together a diagram is it?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Being airfix based do they come with exploded diagrams or is it a case of work it out yourself? I do like the parkside ones as they come with Romford wheels but as I say pictures seem to be beyond them. I fancy doing one of the LNER articulated sets as Wakefield models have some kits of them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hmm sound right up my street. If they go together as badly as the old airfix kits used to do it could make for some interesting rolling stock. I did fancy doing a turntable kit, maybe for a preserved branch line too. Welcome to the forum by the way fellow Bratfuddian!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thank you
I can honestly say I have never tried to build the turntable kit but the wagons and buildings are so simple even I can do them and I am so terrible that most kits Including parkside generally fall apart within weeks of running as I am possibly the most terrible kit builder created I think i was put here for kit bulders to laugh at my shoddy workmanship but oh well Ill learn

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Please can we get this thread back on track? Interesting though it may be, discussing Dapol and Parkside kits isn't exactly relevant to mail-order train packs, is it?

Sorry if that sounds harsh or anything, but ee by gum! OT Threads get on my nerves!

RM

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd like to see more packs that have some of the new diesels Hornby have done. There has been lots of packs containing new steam engines but what about us modern image fans? We are still getting the older locos in packs that are in dire need of being improved.

For suggestions what about a pack containing a class 60 and 3 TEA tankers or a Class 31 and 3 seacows or as i allready suggested a 50 and 3 Mk2 coaches.

Or if Hornby wanted to what about upgrading the 466 and turning it into a 465 train pack? Would fill a gap on many peoples layouts and i would certainly get one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Jennings @ 3 Apr 2006, 20:14)I'd like to see more packs that have some of the new diesels Hornby have done. There has been lots of packs containing new steam engines but what about us modern image fans? We are still getting the older locos in packs that are in dire need of being improved.

For suggestions what about a pack containing a class 60 and 3 TEA tankers or a Class 31 and 3 seacows or as i allready suggested a 50 and 3 Mk2 coaches.

Or if Hornby wanted to what about upgrading the 466 and turning it into a 465 train pack? Would fill a gap on many peoples layouts and i would certainly get one.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about a Frag. 31+ Top'n'tail Mk. 2s? Or Wessex pink 31?
50017 in LMS + stock? :) :) NSE 50 (late but pristine) + NSEs Mk. 1s/2s?
60 on railtour? 60 + car carriers? 60 + TEAs? 60+ 5/6 TTAs?

What about the steam railtour suggestion? Would suit both, as includes steamer, and includes modern stock. The Excalibur Express seems to have done well, and I like it!

I think Hornby "don't do" modern image 1,500 runs because they don't(arguably, not my opinion though!) have the same appeal. Most of those 1,500 packs go to Mail Order companies, and to your uneducated person, buying for Dad, son or husband, a "Class 60" means only what the Argos (etc.) catalogue says. A steamer conjures up "Dad's old train set" and "The old days- like it was when I was a kid." This happened recently, when I got the opportunity to exhibit some of my hacked about stock in public. Only one steamer (a railtour loco!) was there, but most people identified with it o'er the others- because it was a steam engine. The same is why most trains are B.R. sets- more people remeber the B.R. era, and there were more expresses for manufacturers to choose!

May I offer a soution? How about one of each:

"Derby Royal- 1963"= 34088 (213 Sqn. ) + three Pullmans for B.R. steam.
"Royal Scot- 1930s"= Duchess of Athol + three Stanier coaches in Crimson Lake for pre-1948
Wessex trains" with Pink Cl. 31 plus 3 Wessex Mk. 2s for modern image.

That O.K.?

RM

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sorry to have gone off the track of what if i remember rightly started out as an April fools gag then went off track and became a wish list for every conceivable train pack under the sun. Sorry again for derailing an already derailed thread.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yep I have a few of the Bachmann ones but they are in short supply down here or at least I can't find enough of them. I've been after a few SR Bullied cars to make an S&D train set but no luck as yet. Perhaps next month when I get down to the big smoke where all the mexicans are I might find a couple.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Ben Manicom @ 4 Apr 2006, 04:01)The best suggestion I can give for your Mk1 Problem would be to buy some bachmann ones these are far superiour I have a rake of blue grey Mk1s on my railway and they are excellent much better than the Hornby ones although they sometimes are limited availibility.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I've now built a few of the Dapol/ Airfix/ Kitmaster kits. They are as cheap as chips and easy to knock up. A couple of the tank wagons came with metal wheel sets. I enquired about the Cooper Craft /? LNER articulated sets but was warned off as difficult to build and get straight. Who are Wakefield?

Ozzie21

QUOTE (spongebob @ 4 Apr 2006, 05:24)Being airfix based do they come with exploded diagrams or is it a case of work it out yourself? I do like the parkside ones as they come with Romford wheels but as I say pictures seem to be beyond them. I fancy doing one of the LNER articulated sets as Wakefield models have some kits of them.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

21 - 40 of 56 Posts