Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a smal point if someone can advise

i am putting a small 00 layout togeather for a mates boy

the base board is constructed so that there is a protruding section at one end that holds the controler ( Hornby Elite ) and various other control componants
he asked if a programing track could also be fitted here ( 1 section of hornby flex track ) but no conected to the main layout

he wishes to do this so he can program locos and still watch the trains going round the main part of the layout

now the Elite has 2 outputs at the back ( main & program ) and he asked if they could be both connected at the same time to allow this mode of opperation

now i have read the Elite manual and quite frankly i am at a loss as to if this is possible or not::

can anyone through some light on this

Rgds
Mike

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I can't remember if the Elite allows programming a the same time as other trains run. When we tested it, we didn't do that.

The systems that I currently use don't allow simultaneous running and programming.

For one, if you're in the middle of programming, what do you do if you have an emergency on the mainline. These systems seem to go into programming mode and switch off normal running mode.

Changing a CV or two on a decoder doesn't take any time and you'll soon be up and running again. You can wire up your programming track as a siding of your mainline so that locos can drive on and off. You use a DPDT switch to switch between normal running and programming modes.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi

Doug's suggestion is the best answer

I have a programming track on my workbench and a separate test track oval nearby both connected to the Lenz LZV100 command station . I can have a loco running on the test oval and one on the Program track being programmed
However the Loco on the Test oval will stop running every time a write or read command is sent to the programming track
even if it is only momentarily

Regards

Zmil

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Mike88 @ 10 Dec 2008, 23:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just a smal point if someone can advise

i am putting a small 00 layout togeather for a mates boy

the base board is constructed so that there is a protruding section at one end that holds the controler ( Hornby Elite ) and various other control componants
he asked if a programing track could also be fitted here ( 1 section of hornby flex track ) but no conected to the main layout

he wishes to do this so he can program locos and still watch the trains going round the main part of the layout

now the Elite has 2 outputs at the back ( main & program ) and he asked if they could be both connected at the same time to allow this mode of opperation

now i have read the Elite manual and quite frankly i am at a loss as to if this is possible or not::

can anyone through some light on this

Rgds
Mike

*** Yes they can both be wired permanently. When you are using programming track mode, the power will be off to the main. When you are running on the main or programming on the main, the programming track will effectively be off.

regards

Richard

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys

I think the main reason here for him is that is a bit of a bind having to keep unpluging the 2 outputs all the time
especialy as he whants the Elite fixed to the control board;

so it seems OK to have both connected
but he cant run them togeather

and the Elite will automaticly isolate the other one according to wich mode is selected

thanks again for the prompt answers

Rgds
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.