Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have got the inevitable model of 75006. Unusually, it is actually a fairly good runner. I had a problem lately where the pin that hold the eccentric rod in at the top fell out. I managed to take it apart and fix it myself. Cue about 30 seconds of pride that I'd actually managed to do something myself! However....

When I test ran the loco, while the eccentric stays in place beautifully, the right hand rear driving wheel seems to be moving as it rotates i.e. rocking forwards and backwards. I know all about the dramas of these wheelsets being shafts into the axle, but on checking, the shaft feels fine. Have I simply reset the wheels in the wrong position? The left hand rear driver runs fine, so it is just this one wheel. Any thoughts greatly appreciated....

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
From your description, those rear drivers cannot be fixed relative to each other on the axle. As you probably know each half axle locates by a circular pin into the plastic insulating muff, there is no positive quartering location. So you will need to set the quartering to match the other driving wheels when you relocate whichever wheel is loose, and use an adhesive if the wheel comes loose from the muff after being relocated. 24hr Araldite will do the job. It's quite a surprise to hear of a Mainline split chassis model still being a fairly good runner. I should think most of these chassis have gone to the muff split/wheel inserts bowed/gears broken/ axle locating pins snapped off/motor burnt out graveyard by now.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 19 Sep 2008, 16:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's quite a surprise to hear of a Mainline split chassis model still being a fairly good runner. I should think most of these chassis have gone to the muff split/wheel inserts bowed/gears broken/ axle locating pins snapped off/motor burnt out graveyard by now.

I still have the following Mainline locos in my stud and all are faultless runners
Std 4 (repainted so I forget what it started out as)
Rebuilt Patriot Private W. Wood V.C. (also painted but I kept her the same name)
"British Railways" black J72
LNER green J72
Great Western green 43xx
GWR green 57xx

I also had a Manor that did pack up, although that was one of the pins on the chassis block that acts as an axle for one of the gears that snapped not the usual Mainline defects.

They may not run as quietly as the current offerings but they were in a different league when they were made back in the '80s. So those that have been looked after are still going strong.

Andii

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 19 Sep 2008, 16:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.. although that was one of the pins on the chassis block that acts as an axle for one of the gears that snapped not the usual Mainline defects..
I was thinking of that characteristic failure as part of 'gears broken'; fortunately easily repaired by drilling a hole in the block to take a pin.

You have done well, and they certainly did represent a step up over other UK RTR of the time. I have one J72 running, cobbled together from the surviving parts of two; one of these had a terrific case of mazak rot in the chassis block, but its' small components were good, the other one the wheel muffs, wheels, motor and gears all progressively fell to bits until unrepairable. My Jubilee and Standard 4 (and the same construction Replica B1 chassis) all fell apart long ago. But they were hard worked on large trains on a long outdoor run, and were used come rain, come shine, every day I was home for many years, so I felt that good value was had from them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 19 Sep 2008, 15:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.... It's quite a surprise to hear of a Mainline split chassis model still being a fairly good runner. I should think most of these chassis have gone to the muff split/wheel inserts bowed/gears broken/ axle locating pins snapped off/motor burnt out graveyard by now.

As far as Mainline engines are concerned, I have a number:

581 (J72). Original condition, and still a reasonable runner. Owned from new, and one major service.
4358 (43xx). I bought this second-hand about 2 years ago, and this is one of the best runners I own! It would pull my house, given half a chance. I operate a 1-in-45 gradient, and 4358 manages 10 coaches up it with no bother.
75006 (4MT). The subject of these repairs. Good runner, but lacking a BIT in strength. I bought it with a wrong tender and broken bogie, but I had the bits in stock from a previous 4MT that had died.
3210 (2251 class): Owned from new, still a cracking runner.
5719 (Jubilee). As new, bit noisy, but a good runner. Bought secondhand.
45691 (Jubilee). As new, fantastic runner, strong as an ox. Bought secondhand.
45710 (Jubilee). A renumber, and a recent purchase. Detailed by the previous owner.

To be honest, with the gradient I have, the earlier Hornby tender driven engines, and heavyweights like the Mainline engines are the ones most able to cope. I can run ten coaches behind the 43xx, but only four behind a Hornby Large Prairie..... I still use the Mainline engines, and am happy to do so. One other issue though. How do I correctly oil the motors? Do I have to split the chassis? (Spot the mechanical idiot!!!!)

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (Fireline @ 19 Sep 2008, 18:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..How do I correctly oil the motors? Do I have to split the chassis? ..
Do not disturb if running well, don't take the chassis apart would be my take on it. Just a small dot of oil occasionally on the visible end of the motor shaft. The gear train usually had plenty of factory grease, and that seemed to take care of the concealed side of the motor was my experience. But then I have only one of these still running, maybe Andii has a different opinion?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
To be honest all my Mainline locos are second (maybe third or forth) hand and I've not had any reason to take the mechanics apart. The only maintanence I've done to any of them is to add a drop of light machine oil to the pivot points of the motion from the end of an insulin syringe. I guess I've just been lucky with my purchases.

One thing that's worth noting, since I didin't have the means of drilling a hole for a new pin to mount the gear on in my Manor chassis I purchased a new replacement Bachmann unit. I find that the loco doesn't seem to have the same haulage ability now, I do like the blackend motion and wheels though.

Andii

1 - 7 of 7 Posts