Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the chassis on the Mainline Collet or the Replica Collet is the same as the Bachmann Model.
I wish to use the chassis for a conversion and there seems to be a glut of Mainline & Replica models at trade fairs but the sellers do not know the answer.
Any accurate advise appreciated

StMartins

·
In depth idiot
7,662 Posts
As you probably know, Kader were the manufacturing contractor to Replica and Mainline; and are the owners of the Bachmann brand which continued production of models formerly marketed by these businesses. Mainline to the best of my knowledge used a split chassis with a pancake style motor and spur gears in this model; Bachmann than reintroduced this model with a redesigned split chassis with their can motor and a worm gear drive.

Keep in mind that Bachmann offered their fully compatible split chassis units as spares for this and other models. As a result it is possible to find Mainline and Replica boxed locos second hand, which have Bachmann split chassis units installed, replaced by the owners as the original chassis clapped out.

Be very cautious when buying split chassis locos second hand: these chassis are shorter lived then a conventional steel axled unit with wiper pick up, and the Replica and Mainline units with the pancake motor will by now be in pretty flaky mechanical condition even if they have never been run. In particular the insulating axle muffs and gears were all vulnerable to cracking and splitting; and this occurs whether or not the loco has been used. It's your choice, but I buy these for the body mouldings alone, reckoning the chassis to be junk and expect a very low price in consequence.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 10 Nov 2008, 12:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As you probably know, Kader were the manufacturing contractor to Replica and Mainline; and are the owners of the Bachmann brand which continued production of models formerly marketed by these businesses. Mainline to the best of my knowledge used a split chassis with a pancake style motor and spur gears in this model; Bachmann than reintroduced this model with a redesigned split chassis with their can motor and a worm gear drive.

Keep in mind that Bachmann offered their fully compatible split chassis units as spares for this and other models. As a result it is possible to find Mainline and Replica boxed locos second hand, which have Bachmann split chassis units installed, replaced by the owners as the original chassis clapped out.

Be very cautious when buying split chassis locos second hand: these chassis are shorter lived then a conventional steel axled unit with wiper pick up, and the Replica and Mainline units with the pancake motor will by now be in pretty flaky mechanical condition even if they have never been run. In particular the insulating axle muffs and gears were all vulnerable to cracking and splitting; and this occurs whether or not the loco has been used. It's your choice, but I buy these for the body mouldings alone, reckoning the chassis to be junk and expect a very low price in consequence.

Many thanks, yes I have ditched all my Mainline locos as I could never get a smooth runner with the rear wheel drive, and as you state the "insulaters" did have a habit of splitting.I thought however they must have used a similar mechanism to the Bachmann to hide it.
It looks like I will have to fork out for a Bachmann Collett as I want the chassis for a Hornby Dean Goods as I am fed up with the atrocious running of this model

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (poliss @ 10 Nov 2008, 12:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It would seem that there are major differences between the chassis of the Mainline and Bachmann Collett. This review I found explains them.
http://www.brma.asn.au/reviews/2251revw.htm

Many thanks, I think the 2 replies have answered my query.I want the chassis for a Hornby Dean as I simply cannot get it to run despite spending hours on it

·
In depth idiot
7,662 Posts
QUOTE (stmartins @ 10 Nov 2008, 12:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..I want the chassis for a Hornby Dean as I simply cannot get it to run despite spending hours on it
Worth applying to Bachmann to see if they will sell you the current 2251 goods chassis as a separate unit. But it may be touch and go getting this chassis into the lower boilered Dean goods, as the motor is vertical to fit out of sight inside the 2251 firebox. http://www.bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/32-300.pdf

Another option which I have used successfully on several tender drive Hornby locos in the past, is to slot through the loco chassis, and use a fold up kit gearbox and motor to provide a drive. You need to measure the Hornby axle diameter before embarking on this, some of their models looked like they had regular eighth inch axles, but actually proved to be slightly larger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts