Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As members of the Yahoo ESU group will already know, ESU has a major firmware update for the ECoS planned with release scheduled to coincide with the Nuremburg fair early next year.

The part that has caught my eye and got me really excited is the addition of a "track plan" feature. It is intended for station areas or small layouts and will "display switches, signals and switch routes". The upgrade will be free for all registered users.

David

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
So it is true then!

I read it on another forum some days ago, didn't really pay it much attention though!

Mmmm, I may at some point go for the ECoS on my Thomas layout as it would be nice to have parts of it semi automated.
You also have the wireless controllers, which can be connected up, it should work very well.
I have the S88 block/occupancy detectors (which need fitting) and these could plug straight into the ECoS.

The VS Commander is very nice though and the colour screen does have the slight edge over the ECoS, biggest issue is cost and support.
The ECoS wins easily on both of these points, probably due to it being out longer and having a very good user base already.

So it's going to be a monochrome version of the VS Commander then........that update should include the UK loco icons as well then with a bit of luck

Whats really impressive is that ESU are WILLING to update the firmware to this extent to give you all of these extra features, which can't be a small thing to do!
This sounds like a very big firmware modification.

I shall wait with baited breath on this, it's getting better all the time this DCC malarkey

Cheers

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE So it's going to be a monochrome version of the VS Commander then......

Sure sounds like it and seeing as I've already got an ECoS I'm not too upset about that

QUOTE Whats really impressive is that ESU are WILLING to update the firmware to this extent to give you all of these extra features

Indeed; this part of what I hoped I was buying into when I went for the ECoS in the first place.

David

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Yes, it looks like a prediction made a wee while ago coming true - I wonder if the next Nurnberg show will also see an extension touch screen, as the ECOS external links would make it an easy enough add on...

What excites me more is full MFX support within ECOS - the MFX dexoder facilites really are in many ways superb (if expensive) and I think that well within a decade, there will be a "quantum leap" in NMRA-DCC to embrace the whole gamut of "self identification and decoder registration" and much more - Sort of an all new "current MFX ability + railcom concept + more".

There is some really good stuff on the horizon...

Another product not far away from elsewhere will let ANY brand of system that can properly programme have the ability to set up and control shuttles, routes, automate signalling and self-trigger operation of some sound "accessory effects" such as whistles within locos etc..... I can't say more yet, but it looks like a real gem of a product at a reasonable price!

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
88 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 29 Sep 2008, 09:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Yes, it looks like a prediction made a wee while ago coming true - I wonder if the next Nurnberg show will also see an extension touch screen, as the ECOS external links would make it an easy enough add on...

What excites me more is full MFX support within ECOS - the MFX dexoder facilites really are in many ways superb (if expensive) and I think that well within a decade, there will be a "quantum leap" in NMRA-DCC to embrace the whole gamut of "self identification and decoder registration" and much more - Sort of an all new "current MFX ability + railcom concept + more".

There is some really good stuff on the horizon...

Another product not far away from elsewhere will let ANY brand of system that can properly programme have the ability to set up and control shuttles, routes, automate signalling and self-trigger operation of some sound "accessory effects" such as whistles within locos etc..... I can't say more yet, but it looks like a real gem of a product at a reasonable price!

Regards

Richard

That all sounds fantastic Richard. Can't wait...

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 29 Sep 2008, 19:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What excites me more is full MFX support within ECOS - the MFX dexoder facilites really are in many ways superb (if expensive) and I think that well within a decade, there will be a "quantum leap" in NMRA-DCC to embrace the whole gamut of "self identification and decoder registration" and much more - Sort of an all new "current MFX ability + railcom concept + more".

Regards

Richard
Isn't the MFX decoder the one that Maerklin use?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 30 Sep 2008, 06:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Isn't the MFX decoder the one that Maerklin use?

Hi Neil

Yes, ESU developed it and it was initially exclusive to Maerklin... however its a very clever decoder and a couple of steps beyond the ability of classic NMRA DCC - with this upgrade it'd be possible to use both which is an interesting option...

MFX is expensive though... a significant premium over standard DCC decoders / sound decoders.

Richard

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 30 Sep 2008, 18:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neil

Yes, ESU developed it and it was initially exclusive to Maerklin... however its a very clever decoder and a couple of steps beyond the ability of classic NMRA DCC - with this upgrade it'd be possible to use both which is an interesting option...

MFX is expensive though... a significant premium over standard DCC decoders / sound decoders.

Richard
Hi Richard, so we may be able to use MFX with Dc locos.

Sounds good to me.

Neil

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Neil,

You have always been able to use MFX with DC locomotives.

The problem was that there has not been a DCC/MFX controller.

I have some MFX locomotives and they are great. The only downside is that it takes about 3-5 minutes for a "new" locomotive to register on the controller. Once its there its there for good (well supposedly).

Cheers

John

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Some very interesting news here, I am very glad I opted for the ECoS as it is looking like being the best layout controller for some time if ESU continues with regular updates.

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts