Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just started to do the scatter grass on my tunnel hill. I painted it green first, a good grassy green too. I painted the PVA on and puffed the grass scatter on. I then let it dry for an hour or so and blew the excess off with an airbrush. It looks good, but the colour is too dark. Will it get lighter as the glue dries?

Thanks for any advice,

Pete....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

The grass looked good when i scattered it onto gluey polystyrene, with no paint underneath. I think it might appear dark because the undercoat was too dark. I have scraped it off and once its all dry im going to repaint it with a lighter colour and try re-scattering....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I let it dry clear, and it still looked too dark. Im going to get some enamel and airbrush it on in a very thin layer to only tint the white green, rahter than compleatly stain it. When i did a test to try and apply the flocking to some glued polystrene (just white, unpainted) the result was pretty good, just the odd bit of white showing through.

I also think i put too much on, rather than dusting it on with a seive, i more coated the surface and then blew off the excess.

Oh well, first go at it - i will hopefuly sort it out tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Two quick bits of advice:- 1) Don't paint the ground green - it ain't so in real life. I find that a grey/brown mix colour gives better realism. 2) When doing the grass I prefer to use flocks rather than scatters and usually mix them to get a better colour than that obtained by a single colour. for preference I use Noch products.

Regards

John

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im a big supporter of packaging like that. The renault master and the vauxhall something are both the same van, made in the same factory by the same people. Never would I have a french van or car... or anything.... but I would have the vauxhall caus its not french

The guagemaster prodigy DCC system is also available under an american brand but i would still like the guagemaster one...

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 29 Dec 2006, 17:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh no - no, no, no - not a German product - ah-ha, buy the Gaugemaster product instead - it's still made by Noch but it's in a Gaugemaster packet so that makes it alright you see.

Just to make life interesting I believe that Noch may make scenics for Hornby, they certainly did a few years ago.

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 2 Jan 2007, 21:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Didn't Roco make their track? That would upset Hornby, sorry Gary.

They certainly did some time ago - don't forget it does not matter where it is made as long as it comes in Hornby packageing

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 3 Jan 2007, 07:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>don't forget it does not matter where it is made as long as it comes in Hornby packageing

ouch! That hurt, but it's true, people will buy things in a Hornby package - because they know the name..

Mad innit!!

Regards

John

·
Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 29 Dec 2006, 14:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Two quick bits of advice:- 1) Don't paint the ground green - it ain't so in real life. I find that a grey/brown mix colour gives better realism. 2) When doing the grass I prefer to use flocks rather than scatters and usually mix them to get a better colour than that obtained by a single colour. for preference I use Noch products.

Regards

John

As a base for the grass and other greenery I like to paint nearly full strength white wood glue onto the scenic shell and then scatter some real sand/soil of the right colour onto it. It provides a good "grip" for the grass and greenery. It also looks pretty realistic especially in the areas not completely covered by the grass/greenery.

Kind regards.

Johan

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Johan de Villiers @ 11 Feb 2007, 21:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As a base for the grass and other greenery I like to paint nearly full strength white wood glue onto the scenic shell and then scatter some real sand/soil of the right colour onto it. It provides a good "grip" for the grass and greenery. It also looks pretty realistic especially in the areas not completely covered by the grass/greenery.

Kind regards.

Johan

I hadn't thought of that Johan, but will now be trying it out. I will let you know the results in due course.

Regards

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts