Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to wire one up for the local model club on there exhibition layout and after a lot of nights working on it we still have problems when you try to cross over

Its a marcway one that was brought by the club and there is no paper work with it . We have been using the O Gauge Guild book to help us but still can't get it to work right

Any info or links to help would be great as its going on show in 6 weeks time

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I don't have any experience of a single piece scissors crossing but I have created one of my own from Peco code 75 all electrofrog parts. I have treated each point and the crossing as separate electrical sections. In determining the switching the polarity of the frogs, I considered each part individually. I did not consider afterwards whether it was possible to common some of the switches. Working out what to do with the point frogs was simple enough but I created this drawing to work out how to do the central crossing. I'm posting it in case it helps

David

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Teleman @ 6 Dec 2008, 10:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm trying to wire one up for the local model club on there exhibition layout and after a lot of nights working on it we still have problems when you try to cross over

Its a marcway one that was brought by the club and there is no paper work with it . We have been using the O Gauge Guild book to help us but still can't get it to work right

Any info or links to help would be great as its going on show in 6 weeks time

*** Here is what it should look like electrically - The trick is to switch the polarity of the diamond frogs with the points that feed to it at the same time - this "feed a diamond via the point that leads to it" is the trick to wiring most live frog pointwork such as marcway.

What point motors are you using? MASTERswitch PLUS can be used to help you a lot as each has 4 sets of changeover contacts so they can provide full crossover electrical control plus panel LED indication and 3 putton control of the whole scissors!

Ian send you a full PDF of the whole wiring if you email me off list... its using MS + but will give you lots of detail to help you generally whther you use them or not.

regards

Richard

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys
One thing i did not say is that its running on DC and the point motors are the Tortoise ones controled via a diode matrix

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Teleman @ 6 Dec 2008, 22:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the replys
One thing i did not say is that its running on DC and the point motors are the Tortoise ones controled via a diode matrix

*** Then with the tortoise, you have a total of eight changeover switches between the 4 - enough for all frogs and if you use the diagramme posted and take it one step at a time, it will certainly work...

Richard

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just back from the club and its all working now
After reading the replys and a phone call , it was thpoght best to start again with the wiring . As the scissors was built it will not work with the O Gauge Guild wiring on Marcway scissors . It has to be wired as a crossover like in dwb post ,
A big thanks from all at the club

I will put in a post for the exhibition nearer the time ( Jan )

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Glad you got it sorted Teleman
look forward to seeing the exhibition if you get a chance of doing some pictures.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nick , I will take the camera along in a few weeks when all the boards come together , only 13 points and a double slip to wire up and then the electrics is done
They will be doing the senic bit on the section where the scissors are next week , Like all layouts you hope they will be ready in time , it will be close but i'm sure we will get there

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE It has to be wired as a crossover like in dwb post ,

Glad to be of assistance and thanks for letting us know how it went.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts