Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marklin Insider 2009 will be 39390 BR39 running number 39 048 with fine detail and excellent cab detail.

Picture from Insider model shown at Köln fair.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I must admit that this does surprise me a wee bit. It is on my list of Locomotives that I want (as a DRG version it ran between Stuttgart and Lake Konstance).

I actually thought that Brawa would announce it as the "new" locomotive for next year.

Good to see it has the new SDS drive and literally al the bells and whistles.

What I do find surprising is that it has an MFX chip given the ESU issues.

John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 8 Nov 2008, 07:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi Neil,

No luck with Trix I am afraid.

Just some boring old Bavarian S3/6 repainted for the DB!

http://www.trix.de/club/TrixH0_TPCmodell_2009.pdf

jOHN

Hi John, thanks for that.

Maybe it's early in the morning but I don't see how that Br18.4 differs in any way from the one they are releasing in February. Anyone see the difference?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Neil,

Its the insider model nil, probably EUR50 more expensive than the "standard one", different road number, little certificate.

Seriously, I cant see any difference!

Steve,

Thats what some people said last year. Time will tell. If it is true there will be a lot of very happy Marklinists out there.

Any rumours on DRG outline equipement?

John

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Lads,
Why would you want a 23 class 2-6-2

or even a 39 class

when perfectly good models are already available !!

18 451 on the other hand, is a special loco, and you can see it painted in green Bavarian livery in the Deutsche Museum in Munich, and as the only 'Hochhaxige' preserved (i.e. the series d and e with 2m drivers), a bit special. Only one other engine made it to 1950 in service (18 448) but after being used as a test locomotive and finally withdrawn in 1954, 18 451 went via AW-Ingolstadt direct to the Museum. Well worth looking at when you go to Munich next!

And might I say that if the loco, when delivered, looks even half as good as the picture in the brochure - even baykal might be tempted (cheaper than his 150X too !!).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Truthfully, the class 23 has rather an iconic place with Marklin users. Not quite sure why but for some it really spins their wheels.

The Fleischmann class 39 while nice isn't something I have actively gone after and it is now a few years old.

Hopefully both locomotives will be up to Marklins class 64 standard, which is a magnificent piece of work. Pluse they will be loco driven and not tender driven.

John

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE Lads,
Why would you want a 23 class 2-6-2 or even a 39 class Because neither of 'those' products arrive in a white box with Maerklin on the side. I doubt if the new versions will be any better than the outstanding Roco and Fleischmann products shown by 6991.

QUOTE The Fleischmann class 39 while nice isn't something I have actively gone after and it is now a few years old Despite its age of more than a 'few' years the Fleischmann BR38.10 still manages to eclipse the MaTrix version which arrived twenty years later.

If Maerklin really wanted to pull itself out the mire, a decent version of DB's rebuilt BR03.10 might have been a better choice as no one has produced it (apart from M&F) or maybe a BR56.2-8, another ignored model.

Both have been at the top of the want-lists of steam locos for many years and are likely to remain there whilst the manufacturers concentrate of one-off's and other such oddities.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well Brawa bought out a class 56.8 a couple of years ago.

I have no idea with Marklinists fixation with the class 23, its just one of those iconic things that they want.

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE So its actualy the Class 56.20-29, built from 1919.

No it* is the BR56.2-8 which is a rebuild of the eponymous Prussian G 81 from 1934-42, as clearly stated in the previous post.

72C

*the locomotive to which I refer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE That Brawa 56.8 is simply stunning. Here's a gratuitous shot so that I can look at it every time I visit this thread.

Unfortunately the reality of owning and running the BR56.8 is not as good as Brawa's photo would suggest, the valve gear already shows signs of wear and I am looking at a replacement. I wonder if my 10 year old Bachmann N will deteriorate as rapidly?

I sometimes envy those Maerklinists whose valve gear has lasted a moon landing and six changes of prime minister

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (72C @ 18 Nov 2008, 08:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unfortunately the reality of owning and running the BR56.8 is not as good as Brawa's photo would suggest, the valve gear already shows signs of wear

That's something I have never really suffered from & I do tend to run my locomotives a lot. I would not have thought that valve gear should be showing signs of wear until maybe a couple of motors had expired.

Has your 56 had that much use ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts