Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to hear that Marklin is seriously considering discontinuing the K-track system within the next year or two, with currently no direct replacement decided at this point in time.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My source in Germany says that they won't be withdrawing K-Track until they develop a flex track for the C-Track.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I'm not a Maerklin user and never will be but I am a curious individual and would be interested to learn of the differences between the C and K track systems.

David

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Steve,

To be rather blunt, I just love the way rumors start.

As ever some american makes some inane comment that is not backed up by any factural documentation and it is read as a definative truth. But this is what I have come to expect from American Marklin modellers, after all in their eyes Marklin should base their production around their specific wants rather than the German market. If they had their way, US outline would be the core outline and anything eles just a sideline.

Until something comes out of the house of Marklin concerning this, then it is nothing more than a rumor.

10 years ago people were saying that Marklin were going to drop K track. Very strange that they are still selling it.

John

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Well, I'm glad to hear that the Germans are catching up, it's 40y since we got rid of 3-rail in the UK.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 29 Aug 2008, 22:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To be rather blunt, I just love the way rumors start.

John

Don't they just ! - the ones I really love are those without any facts to back them up &, even better for me being in the trade those that I know to be completely way off.

A source tells me that as Hornby are now "International" all new models from 2012 will be HO (to coincide with the Olympics) and all new Bachman (from yet another source) will be going over to EM.

Oh, & not forgetting that Peco will have a range of UK track in four versions for the "Big Four" available "soon".

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 30 Aug 2008, 20:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't they just ! - the ones I really love are those without any facts to back them up &, even better for me being in the trade those that I know to be completely way off.

A source tells me that as Hornby are now "International" all new models from 2012 will be HO (to coincide with the Olympics) and all new Bachman (from yet another source) will be going over to EM.

Oh, & not forgetting that Peco will have a range of UK track in four versions for the "Big Four" available "soon".

na the best one is that at the last G10 meeting it was decided that there were insufficent model railroaders and that all duty and sales tax on these items would be dropped effective the next election

John

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
John, they'd have to introduce duty on model railway items before they could scrap it. The only tax you have to pay when you import models is VAT at the moment.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 30 Aug 2008, 16:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh, & not forgetting that Peco will have a range of UK track in four versions for the "Big Four" available "soon".

***But Brian its true...

Peco will only produce one kind though, with 4 different flexible plastic slip on covers for the chair detail and sleeper spacing.
They will be called the big 4skins.

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 30 Aug 2008, 13:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really don't know how this happened

An unusual confession from you!!

Regards

·
Registered
182 Posts
Probably far too late to save this thread, but.........

Thinking back 8 years or so, hands up how many people feel that there was a missed opportunity to move to HO when Hornby moved production to China and started producung Super detail models.

I guess it was too much of a commercial risk, and Hornby saw their main competitors, Bachmann, still producing in OO.
Probably never even considered HO. Given that most pre-1999 models are now considered obsolete, Britain could have at last joined the world stage with HO.

There would have been no need for a new track system then would there (runs for cover...)

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 1 Sep 2008, 21:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Probably far too late to save this thread, but.........

Thinking back 8 years or so, hands up how many people feel that there was a missed opportunity to move to HO when Hornby moved production to China and started producung Super detail models.

I guess it was too much of a commercial risk, and Hornby saw their main competitors, Bachmann, still producing in OO.
Probably never even considered HO. Given that most pre-1999 models are now considered obsolete, Britain could have at last joined the world stage with HO.

There would have been no need for a new track system then would there (runs for cover...)

*** I sincerely doubt UK prototype HO ever entered Hornbys head. Their sole motivation would have been, very sensibly, commercial - make a better OO model at a lower cost to them, and have a more successful business because of it, and I can't argue with that, its common sense...

As to the other comment re Peco track and accuracy, which are two mutually exclusive words - No need to run for cover at all....

To celebrate the world shaking move of Hornby and other UK models to HO, and in order to save Peco the task of doing the research and for once doing it properly....

The EU would have mandated that the entirity of all UK and European railway systems must immediately redesign all their turnouts and relay every mile of track to match Peco's fanciful idea of what track should look like, therby in a brilliant coup ending the "peco track is inacurate" for current era modellers.... but sadly, still leaving all the rest with a nagging need for something better.

Of course the Eurostar and TGV etc would then have been speed limited to between 25 and 50kph - but that would have been no problem as real railways would then become too dangerous to ride on due to the poor Peco turnout design and geometry....

Cars and horses would have inherited the earth and all rail preservation limited to a 100 acre trackmat in the South East England.

but heck, at least the models would have looked better for some!

Richard

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Of course Peco are about to announce OO track (not HO branded as OO).

While this may cause some issues initially, this will be solved by bringing out 3 rail track, the inner rail be gauged for HO.

Current UK outline models will have retro fit stickers for the boxes identifying it as narrow gauge.

John

Would not like to start a rumor!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 2 Sep 2008, 06:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Of course Peco are about to announce OO track (not HO branded as OO).

Would not like to start a rumor!

There's nothing I like more than a good rumour!

Regards

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 2 Sep 2008, 14:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Of course Peco are about to announce OO track (not HO branded as OO).

***That'd be a nice change though - right now from a visual aspect, its "ho, ho, ho" when its branded HO or OO

Richard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts