Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Central Station 2 is a digital control unit for Märklin model railways of the new generation. Its design communicates a high degree of functionality as well as stringent brand identity, reflected in the traditional colours red and grey as well as in a user-friendly shaping. The unit includes a clearly arranged colour touch screen as well as numerous operation options with which different trains can be directed along the tracks at the same time, while functions such as sound, lighting, switching tracks and setting signals can be controlled with the unit, down to the steam of a locomotive. These features are controlled with two sets of eight softkeys to the right and left of the screen. The wing-shaped silhouette of the unit is based on its operation: all control elements are arranged symmetrically in the centre, thus directing the focus to the keys, rotary knobs and monitor. This focus is additionally supported by the colour scheme, which optically connects the red rotary knobs to the monitor via an anthracite-coloured element.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
A big stop button on the bottom...

Do people really need such a large stop button? At least it is not red.

How often you DCC users hit the all stop? Personally I never use it. I don't let my trains get out of control. If they do, I don't notice it before there is some shunt or another and then the system shuts off anyway.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 5 Aug 2008, 08:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How often you DCC users hit the all stop?
Quite a bit on re-setting up SL, at least until everything settles down - little bit of re-alaignment here & there, swop the odd wagons around & so on. After that very, very little.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 5 Aug 2008, 17:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A big stop button on the bottom...

Do people really need such a large stop button? At least it is not red.

How often you DCC users hit the all stop? Personally I never use it. I don't let my trains get out of control. If they do, I don't notice it before there is some shunt or another and then the system shuts off anyway.
I use it a fair bit, I normally have a fair bit going on and sometimes more than one loco on the same set of tracks. It's also handy if you need to pop out for something and don't want to leave the trains unattended.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I must admit that the stop buton is useful. Like Neil says its great for popping out of the train room to get a cup of tea (I am spoilt and have a beer fridge in my train room!)

The new controller looks ok, but its what it can do thats more important than how it looks.

To be ofically announced at Nurenburg 2009 perhaps?

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 5 Aug 2008, 22:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's also handy if you need to pop out for something and don't want to leave the trains unattended.
Very useful - as long as things resume exactly as they were when "resetting". AFAIK not all systems can do this - the FLM TC's we use on SL do.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 6 Aug 2008, 19:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very useful - as long as things resume exactly as they were when "resetting". AFAIK not all systems can do this - the FLM TC's we use on SL do.
Mine does, it even resumes the shuttle trains in the same mode. I would guess that the Maerklin one would do the same.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 7 Aug 2008, 00:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine does, it even resumes the shuttle trains in the same mode. I would guess that the Maerklin one would do the same.
The TC's allow you to alter individual loco and/or accessory setting whilst in "STOP" mode, which is very useful. They also resume the settings after power off, although the screen returns to the startup one.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have info that Central station 2 is use for both digital 3-rails or DCC 2-Rails.

Lets and wait till 2009.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have a closed look of CS2.

Four new items add to digital range.

60173 Booster.
60128 Connect to 6021 from CS2.
60123 Cabe for between CS2 and CS2.
60121 Connect between CS1 and CS2.

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (steventrain @ 26 Aug 2008, 15:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have a closed look of CS2.

Do you have the original pictures? I would like to take a closer look on the diagram and the CS2 screen. Any info on DCC support? Is it going to be multi-protocol?

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (Nygma @ 26 Aug 2008, 19:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you have the original pictures? I would like to take a closer look on the diagram and the CS2 screen. Any info on DCC support? Is it going to be multi-protocol?
It's from a PDF and the CS2 is actually called Central Station 60213. There is no DCC support yet, just mfx. You'll find an interesting article with some more details here:

http://www.modellbahntechnik-aktuell.de/na...d-central-stat/

It's only available in German language, but at the bottom of the page you will find a link to a PDF file with the Central Station system architecture. That's where the picture is from. At the end of the month there is a Märklin roadshow in Germany, you find a link to the invitation here at the end of the page:

http://www.modellbahntechnik-aktuell.de/na...tion-2-cs2-ein/

Have fun and hurry up, because Märklin sometimes forces those pages to delete links like that
;-)

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I've just noticed that the USB connector shown on the picture above is for a Host (i.e. a PC) and not a peripheral. Unless it's equipped for OTG (On The Go - where devices can negotiate about who is the Host), I wonder what it's going to be used for? As a Host only connector it can't be used for PC connect. Full size keyboard, memory stick? Interesting.....

David

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 2 Sep 2008, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've just noticed that the USB connector shown on the picture above is for a Host (i.e. a PC) and not a peripheral. Unless it's equipped for OTG (On The Go - where devices can negotiate about who is the Host), I wonder what it's going to be used for? As a Host only connector it can't be used for PC connect. Full size keyboard, memory stick? Interesting.....

One of the German page says that USB mouse and keyboard can be connected. I guess CS2 is Marklin's solution for computer based train control. So when you do programming or setup mouse or a keyboard can be useful. You can also connect a pendrive and update the firmware without a PC.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE One of the German page says that USB mouse and keyboard can be connected. I guess CS2 is Marklin's solution for computer based train control. So when you do programming or setup mouse or a keyboard can be useful. You can also connect a pendrive and update the firmware without a PC.

That figures. Thanks for the info.

David

1 - 20 of 50 Posts