Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Hi all.

Can someone enlighten me regarding Marklin points (turnouts). I put together an oval of track, together with a passing loop, today just so that I could see a couple of trains travelling more than the 40cm of my test track. With both points set to the 'main line' I was surprised when a loco in the loop started moving as well. My experience in the past was that points used the blades to switch the current but, on checking a spare point, I found that there are straps tying all the +ve and -ve rails to each other. Having seen a layout where the points were definitely isolating a loop, I am wondering if these straps can be removed or not. It's not the end of the world if they cannot be, it would just help a bit. Any comments anyone?

Best wishes,
Chris

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I had the same surprise using Minitrix points. It looks to me like the sort of point clip hornby have just started using. Haven't examined closely yet, but they look like they can be removed.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Chris,

Long time since I had a play with Z, but it may be better to leave the points non-isolating & use isolated sections. Removing the straps & relying on the tiny contact areas left may give problems.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (poliss @ 16 Jan 2008, 02:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had the same surprise using Minitrix points. It looks to me like the sort of point clip hornby have just started using. Haven't examined closely yet, but they look like they can be removed.

I suppose that, in a way, it is good: a) it gives one a guaranteed good electrical connection, even when the track gets old, and
it still gives the option to have them switched if one wants, as I do.

Ah, I see another reply coming though. Yes, 50class, I can sympathise with that. I will be reviewing my connections plan on my website (http://trains.manvell.org.uk/layout/ etc.) to see what impact this revelation has. It may be that it requires very little change.

All the best to you both,
Chris

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I have accepted that there will be no switching of current by the points and I have ended up with 41 isolating tracks and numerous plastic fishplates. :eek:(

Slightly different question now. Has anyone any experience of running trains through trailing points (switches, turnouts) while the points are set to the other road? This would make my life one whole lot easier. I am sure I read somewhere that the points were designed to be able to do this but was wondering if anyone had found any reliability problems.

All the best,
Chris.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Chris - AFAIK you can do this with Z - just check to see if they are lightly sprung & give it a go. Can save a bundle on point motors too.

We do this on SL with the auto storage loops, albeit in HO using FLM Profi points.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you your comment Brian.

Actually, I am unable to check anything at the moment as I am moving rooms (10 years of hoarding junk - cables everywhere - re-routing home network - squeezing quart into pint pot - you get the idea) so trains are inaccessible. While doing the move I am still developing my layout routing logic and trailing through certain points will make matters much simpler. To give you an idea of where I am coming from you can see the layout on my webspace at http://trains.manvell.org.uk/layout/Z-trackplan-20080713.jpg. The points in question are: 2 between signal L2 (rt end of platforms) and detector BA(IR), 1 adjacent to relief road's R2 and 1 at the other end of the relief road adjacent to detectors RA and DC. As you will realise, there will be times when the points will need to be set the 'wrong' way, e.g. to accommodate locomotive access to the turntable, but for normal operation they will only be used to direct trains one way.

With my best wishes,

Chris.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Rowan.

You should see the control panel I am knocking up for the Elgin exhibition!

At the moment I am using four Marklin power supplies and ON-OFF-ON switches to route one of two supplies to each section of track. So PSU 1 is allocated to the down main (outer circle), 2 to the up main, 3 to the branch and 4 to sundry other locations. However, in reality the down main, up main and relief road can all use either 1 or 2. Thus 1 can be used to bring a train into Gleis 1 where is terminates. 2 can take over to return it to the up main and back to the sidings. Alternatively 1 could bring a down train to Gleis 3 and then 2 take it back to the sidings. It gets a bit more problematic when you want to pass a down train to Gleis 4. There it will be necessary to match up two controllers (say 1 and 3).

Someone suggested using rotary switches but I decided against it in the end.

Some feeds are dependant on others so, for instance, all the loco spurs in the sidings will be fed via a SPST switch or push button from the through line that feeds them. I'll be putting up a photo of the panel on my website as and when it is drilled, marked up and populated with switches.

After my experience in Inverness of trains doing 0-30mph in 10msec, I am going to add a couple of diodes to the outputs of the controllers with the aim of only going from 0-15mph in 10msec. (Suck it and see approach!)

Some time in the future I will investigate building myself some more sophisticated controller, either PWM or feedback. But that is another story.

Best wishes,
Chris.

(Posted also to Z Central Station)

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Brian.

There are a couple of photos on my web diary (site address below) but the camera has been firmly packed away while I drill holes and run wires to the terminal strips. There really is nothing to see as all buildings have been removed while the layout stands on its side while I work on the wires. Matters are not helped by the fact that Maerklin use one yellow (common) and two blue wires for their points so I have to poke my head round the back (top) of the board to see which point is changing and which wire does what. However, I promise some more pix in a couple of weeks or so (after everything has been disrupted by presence of family and friends. In the meantime here is a taster (and that was before I started adding all the other wires!).

Best wishes,
Chris.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
To bring power to a spur have used the Märklin track feeder or are you soldering the wire to the rails ?

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Rowan.

Nearly all the sidings either have an isolating rail at teh start of the siding or I have used an insulating fishplate and a full feed. If I had thought about it at the design stage, I would have soldered a lot more connections than I have. As it is, I decided to use standard track throughout; I wish I hadn't.

BTW Jim got back to me and I sent all the info to him. Thank you for that. But the fact that everyone else seems to be ok makes me wonder if there is a problem with my pc.

I'm off to bed now. Tomorrow I will continue adding wires to teh layout but will start concentrating on the power feeds. It would all be a lot easier if I could find my tinned copper wire.

All the best,
Chris.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts