Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently modelling Euro N but have been looking at some HO stuff since moving house (more space). The marklin locos look very nice and their digital system comprehensive. Am I correct in thinking that marklin = 3 rail AC and Trix = same bodies/chassis but 2 rail DC? What REAL advantage does Marklin have? Are they better detailed than their Trix cousins? Do those little metal pins in the centre of the track look unrealistic? Are Marklin the only make with automatic uncoupling via the digital controller?

Your thoughts please as that Marklin Gothard digital start set looks very tempting!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 23 Sep 2007, 11:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm currently modelling Euro N but have been looking at some HO stuff since moving house (more space). The marklin locos look very nice and their digital system comprehensive. Am I correct in thinking that marklin = 3 rail AC and Trix = same bodies/chassis but 2 rail DC? What REAL advantage does Marklin have? Are they better detailed than their Trix cousins? Do those little metal pins in the centre of the track look unrealistic? Are Marklin the only make with automatic uncoupling via the digital controller?

Your thoughts please as that Marklin Gothard digital start set looks very tempting!
Trix are basically Maerklin smodels but in DC rather than AC. The advantage of AC is it has better current supply to the loco. The disadvantage is that there is less choice in global terms, although it is probably at least 50% of the German market. The other disadvantage is that you have this ugly centre current pick up below your loco and little studs in the middle of the rail.

You can buy some after market digital uncouplers, and Trix has at least one loco that doess this.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i would strongly urge yu to go down the DC route. there is a vastly wider variety of stock available to you. other companies do the uncoupler either in the loco or as an after market item and i think it will become more common as time goes on.

When you go on holiday and see a nice loco you wont have to wory about weather it is 3 rail or not.

Although i dont have figures to back it up i suspect that their share of the german market is in freefall.

As neil points out they do have better current collection (even i have to concede that)

But the biggest down side is the ugly pickup studs down the middle of the track. dont let anyone tell you they are not noticeable, they are. especially around pointwork and in my opinion they just look rediculous.

It was great in its day.

Peter

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I don't want to get in another argument with my friend Peter
but he's a lot younger than I am so I guess his eyesight is a lot better but I don't really notice them anymore than I do some of the OO scale track out there that also looks a little strange to me.
The problem with the points is their sharpness I think rather than the metal studs. The best rail I have ever seen is the US hand laid stuff but that's another story. After a while the Marklin track just fades in the background and you just enjoy the running characteristics of Marklin trains. The one thing we can all agree on is you're kind of limited to Continental outline, that's if you consider that a limitation.

Obviously there are different opinions on the subject and with Trix being the DC version of Marklin more or less you are free to choose your poison.

Now the REAL advantage in Marklin trains is the material that's used in their construction which is mostly metal and the technology that goes into their models. They are a lot more expensive but to me at least they are worth their extra cost.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Just to add a couple of points to Dennis's view, nearly all their steam locos are " Full metal Jacket" incorparating the motor inside the loco rather than the tenders, which is common practice in most DC HO brands. ( leaving no space/limited for a sound decoder.)

Check the thread below:

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=2523

Maerklin rail geometry is in my opinion suits layouts with very limited space compared with other rails of DC.

As I always say, if it weren't for the 3rd rail I would have converted long ago.

Check also below thread:

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=3374

....and how to minimize the effects of the studs :

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=3427

Cheers

Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I would tend to agree with what has already been said, except to add that ;

Currently, the detail or Marklin & Trix is the same, the running numbers are often different so with rolling stock you buy a combination of Marklin & Trix (& of course the axels) to avoid some duplication.

"Old" Marklin can be very different to "Old" Trix.

Roco do a remote (via DCC) uncoupling & Krois make aftermarket ones (we stock the Krois).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I also noticed that Marklin sell a Central Station, but Trix only a cut down version of the same system. Looking at other digital systems, it seems the Marklin version is a repackaged ESU ECoS system?

Will the Marklin rolling stock work on a 2 rail layout or do you still need to replace the wheelsets?

Has anybody seen the BR44 Marklin/Trix? Is it the same model more or less?

thanks again.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 23 Sep 2007, 13:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will the Marklin rolling stock work on a 2 rail layout or do you still need to replace the wheelsets?

You have to change the wheelsets to use on 2-rail.

AFAIK the Trix 44 is the same as the Marklin 44 - I have a Trix 44 which will pull in excess of 40 coaches - downside is the motor intrudes into the cab.

Some of the newer Marklin Locomotives have the C-Sine motor. Some of the Trix do as well but only the DCC versions.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 23 Sep 2007, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the replies. I also noticed that Marklin sell a Central Station, but Trix only a cut down version of the same system. Looking at other digital systems, it seems the Marklin version is a repackaged ESU ECoS system?
Will the Marklin rolling stock work on a 2 rail layout or do you still need to replace the wheelsets?
Has anybody seen the BR44 Marklin/Trix? Is it the same model more or less?

thanks again.
The Maerklin Central station will only operate Motorola for Maerklin, the Trix Central Station will operate DCC and Selectrix whereas the ECoS will operate all of these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts