Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From M&S's Website:

"The Venice-Simplon Orient Express
Hornby Model Train Set
£125.00

Product code: T092689

Exclusive to M&S you can relive the golden days of the railroad's most glamorous train with this three piece set, modelled on the original Orient Express. Beautifully presented, this incredible collectable will make for a perfect gift idea

- 3 piece set
- Featuring carriage and train modelled on the original Orient express
- Includes the Pullman coaches of the 40s and 50s
- Locomotive feature
- Working table lamps when coach is in motion
- The track circuit allows for the addition of Hornby Track Packs so that the layout can be increased to accommodate additional circuits and Hornby buildings"

Details on M&S's Website Here

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
What I am trying to work out is which loco is in the box.

The number on the side looks like 35027 which is Port Line.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
487 Posts
The set offered by M&S is not cheap and what about after sales service? Ofcoure, if the set fails to run properly, it can be used as an ornament!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I believe the standard Hornby customer care information is in the pack if history is anything to go by and it is my experience that Marks and Spencer do offer Hornby like customer care service. And they are the super detailed Pullman coaches with lights. The information on the Marks and Spencer website is a bit sketchy and really it requires a visit to a store to review the package properly. The set is aimed at adults and not children and so would normally contain a fully detailed loco with etched motion gear. Again going on past evidence.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
487 Posts
Gary - in not having bought any model railway sets from M&S in the past, I am not at liberty to pass judgement on after sales of this type of product with M&S.
I do however, bought on numerous occasions from various model shop retailers locomotives, track and accessories and all purchases carried a form of guarantee against defects.
What the written word states within the guarantee, will not necessary be the cover you expected. The further you live from the retail source that you purchased the goods, be prepared for the hassle to have your purchase made good - I know, I have experienced it. In cases of purchases on the likes of eBay, you have no come back, sellers on eBay hide behind "let the buyer beware".

·
DT
4,794 Posts
If you do go down there and if they do turn out alright, please let me know as I'm looking for some of these coaches. I have the older ones - they run fine, but are are a little light and the detail could be better.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Doug - have you tried metal square ballast? I purchased several of these squares 1"x1/2" and fitted the squares to several Fleischmann and Hornby InterCity coaches. The coaches appear now to grip the railtrack better. Just a thought.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Adding weight - a bit off topic, but it was the boss that took it there

A good method for small restricted areas is 'liquid lead', very small, loose lead shot poured into any handy orifice and a dollop of diluted white wood glue to hold it together. Quick and convenient, apparently it works very well, though I haven't actually done it myself - never needed to.

Doug, I would understand if you wanted to shift this post to another more useful home.
Just trying to be helpful while the info was still fresh in my mind.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Tried the link again, then www.marksand spencer.com then www.marksandspencer.co.uk, all worked although the posted link is the only address that takes you straight to the train set.
Just had another go at this and may have gone some way to explaining what's happening. If using the M&S .com or co.uk I went to their web pages OK but couldn't find the train set anywhere so I clicked on the link again and sure enough straight to the relevant page but if you copy and paste the product code into their search space then you get the 'sorry, don't have it' message. This applies no matter how you arrive at the site, even on the page that actually shows you the model. Strange.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A couple of posters on the RMWeb have noticed that this item is being offered on the M and S site as part of a 3 for price of 2 offer.

By the way, last year the M and S Evening Star set was reduced to £89, from £125 just before Christmas, and the website had some for £49 on Boxing Day. I'm sure I posted something about the prices on the BRM site last Dec. Yet some are being offered for sale on Ebay for £124.99 + postage, and guess what there are no bidders yet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yesterday, I had the opportunity of looking over the present day Orient Express at Victoria Station. Oooh, the temptation to climb aboard those gorgeous Pullman coaches and disappear Eastwards! If I had had any encouragement from an amenable companion, I think it might well have have happened.
The Gatwick Express finally won out!

·
Registered
44 Posts
A couple of years ago a BCRW carriage for the Orient Express was parked in the forecourt of the British Museum, it was palatial inside. I'm not sure how the VSOE set compares to the real thing, but it would be a great challenge to model.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (mow @ 20 Dec 2005, 10:34)A couple of posters on the RMWeb have noticed that this item is being offered on the M and S site as part of a 3 for price of 2 offer.

By the way, last year the M and S Evening Star set was reduced to £89, from £125 just before Christmas, and the website had some for £49 on Boxing Day. I'm sure I posted something about the prices on the BRM site last Dec. Yet some are being offered for sale on Ebay for £124.99 + postage, and guess what there are no bidders yet.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The set from last year did rech £29 when i snapped one up as it was a HUGE bargain. I did see them as well on the site for £9!!! Did try and order some but they said they didn't have any a few hours later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having looked at the M&S web-site there is no mention of the carriages having working table lamps. If you look closely at the photograph, you will notice the end doors and windows having thickly recessed glazing. My suspicion is that this is the old Hornby pullman carriage, which first saw the light of day in the mid seventies. Buyer beware!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts