Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 13 Dec 2007, 08:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think the issue here could be middle-men.

Importers, distributors, agents. etc.

No, not really, we buy "European" brands from both distributors & direct from the manufactures & there is virtually nothing in it one way or the other. Often we see items advertised by well known internet retailers at only a few % more than we could actually pay for them direct from the manufactures - and that's taking into account the maximun discounts available.

Most products have always be cheaper in the US & probably always will be - ijust look at the situation with cars for a non-model comparison.

Dealers in the US are probably able to purchase their stocks at less than their UK/Euro counterparts, take into account the illegality of evading import tax/VAT & there is your answer.

Not really fair on the smaller UK dealers, most of whom are content to make a reasonable margin, but then again I don't remember any lessons at school that said life was fair !

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 13 Dec 2007, 21:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So Brian, if thats the case how come so many UK Continental outline dealers have such high prices. Are they cashing in big time?
I wont mention any names but you can guess who I am referring to.

Got it in one Neil !

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 14 Dec 2007, 14:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps this is a good time for mee to ask, Brian when are you going to sort out the euroscalemodels website? there is an absoloute killing to be made here! there really isnt a good well illustrated UK based continental website. there are a few high priced box shifters but if i just want a bog standard PIKO hobby loco. i want to see a picture before i buy it and i want an honest review. there is nowhere i can go.

One retialer i used to go to with my father i used to be able to walk away with a couple of box cars with my pocket money but then they went all up market and the last time i went in there there really wasnt much for less than £100. I cant impulse buy in there any more. it has taken the fun out of it.

Peter

Hi Peter,

The lovely Pam is working on the website at the moment - we have some idea's & hope that we will be able to use some excellent reviews, including some information about converting the Faller Road System vehicles into 4mm ones. Especially with some news we heard earlier in the week we really do need to get ourselves into gear.

Hopefully, early next year & before Nurberg.

Regarding the Piko Hobby Loco - just pick one off the GM website that is in stock & we will sent it on approval. You will not be dissapointed for the money !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.