Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Hornby Maunsells are excellent exteranlly and I've been able to access the interior using Plasticard and cocktail sticks to hold the sides away from the chassis until the body comes free. The painted interiors are welcome- all ready for placing passengers- however in BR days at least they have very noticeable cream panels on the corridor side of the compartments which need picking out. Internet photos of the Bluebell Rly set don't show this angle! Have you any advice as to how these should be painted, please?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi there,

That's something we'll need to look into and it could form the basis of a mini article for a future issue, as without further research into your question I wouldn't be able to provide a quick fix answer.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
is there any kits to add corridors and seats to old models of maunsell carriages as I wish to attempt carrying passengers with them. It seams to be an area thats not touched in the magazines for 00.
Ken

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,292 Posts
Hi Ken.

PECO used to make some nice card kits, originally for the Kitmaster plastic kits of the BR MK1 coaches. Being card means that they are easy to modify for other uses. They do not seem to be currently listed by PECO, but old stock may be found?

I also recall plastic seating by Ratio. This is just seating in strips, so the partitions, etc. would have to be made. (some details on this retailers site...http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/produ...o_Coach_Seating)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bill Bedford models do a free download of corridor and non corridor 'generic' coach interiors in PDF format ready for printing. I have not actually tried them yet, but they look useful

http://www.mousa.uk.com/Cat/free.html

I don't think it addresses the question about the colour of the interior panelling of the corridor partition however

Norm

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (sarah @ 7 Apr 2009, 19:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PECO used to make some nice card kits, originally for the Kitmaster plastic kits of the BR MK1 coaches.

Yup, I've got afew stored, and very useful they are.

Regards

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks guys got the coach seats and useful they look too. It's the actual corridor partitioning I'm looking for as I haven't found any helpful info yet.
ken

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
had a look at the Bluebell's 6686 1935? 1st/3rd brake yesterday, unfortunately without camera... the light cream areas are light varnished wood framed in approx 2" dark varnished strip. The panels approximate to the level of the inner compartment window, beginning about 120 cm above the floor. They match approx the top of the compartment window, so for our purposes at normal viewing distances, I think we could get away with stick-on labels of milky/cream colour cut to size and stuck on a prepainted compartment section of dark brown. The sliding doors stand proud of the partitions and are of varnished dark wood.Even in this coach there are variations! The third class section has 1 panel between compartments, the 2 1st class compartments have a central darkwood pillar and vertical planking on the lower section! Almost too much information! The area below window level is mid-brown, hard to tell if that's what it should be or 70 years bleaching by the sun, assuming all of it's original. Beautifully restored and a pleasure to ride in, especially with the SECR C class in charge...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts