Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been extending my layout and can now handle 10 coach trains with ease. Now I have a pretty good idea as to what prototypically most of my steam locos can handle but when it comes to diesels I have scoured my extensive library and cannot find any loading information anywhere.

Can anybody advise what maximum loadings ( in passenger coach numbers) would be for a type 2, a type 4 and two type 2s in multiple?

The only diesels I have are early Scottish Region examples of classes 24, 25, 26, 27 and 40.

· Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that 6c8h - from my own experience travelling from Perth to Dundee in the late 1960s the Glasgow-Dundee sets were normally made up of 5 coaches strengthened to 8 on the 0710 from Queen Street to Dundee. This latter train struggled to keep time with the usual 26 or 27 at the head and after a succession of late arrivals for Tech I wrote in complaint to the Area Manager. The result was for a short time the 0710 became Class 40 hauled but then reverted to type. When the Class 21/29s were employed, needless to say the train was even later than ever, indeed on one occasion a substitute bus was provided due to an engine failure at Carmuirs!

· Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that - a lasting memory is of the 2320 from Glasgow Queen Street with a class 26 at the head and no rear end assistance being thrashed to clear Cowlairs Tunnel on a damp Autumn evening. Loading here was a Sleeping car, four parcel vans for the Newspapers, and two or three passenger coaches - the third was added after I complained about overcrowding and was detached at Perth - the rest of the train was remarshalled at Perth with the Edinburgh portion and then part set off for Aberdeen, the remaining part for Inverness!

Happy Days!

1 - 3 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.