Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I had to cut some holes in a shop unit made from MDF - I could not really get the correct angle on the drill & ended up & "burned" the MDF with the resultant aweful smell & just a whiff of smoke.

The next day I had really bad flu symtoms (the "man-flu"), but I managed to shake it off using the usual Lemsip in about a day.

Thinking back, I have had this before - anyone else suffered, or is it just an allergy I have ?

(& yes, I was wearing a mask).

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (bike2steam @ 24 Aug 2008, 10:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you know how to grind drills, treat MDF the same as you would aluminium, but without coolant.
Paul M.

The problem was accessing the area to be cut - at the end of a recess - the hole cutter was new & sharp but I just could not get enough (even light) pressure on it. Later on I cut some other holes (in easily accessible positions) with the same cutter, light pressure, no fumes, no smoke just a fine dust no problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.