Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, from Canada. I am currently in the process of modelling a portion, namely Wickham to Mislingford Goods Yard, of the Meon Valley Railway, which ran from Fareham to Alton in Hampshire. Period I am modelling is 1935 to 1939. My question is: does anybody know what locomotives (class) were actually used during this period. I am thinking M7's and 700 "Black Motors", Am I right, and were there others? I would love to hear from anybody knowledgable on the M.V.R.
Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I have a book "Southern Branch Lines" and it shows photos of the following for the Meon Valley Line:

Class L12 4-4-0 at West meon pulling a short mixed goods in 1949
Class 700 0-6-6 aqt Alton shortly before the line closed with a mixed goods.
Class M7 at Bishops Waltham in 1958

As well as the above the book says that occasionally T9's were seen on through trains. An AIX was stored at Droxford until 1966 when it went to the IoW.

Hope that this helps.

R

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hello,
I used to live in Portsmouth and was interested in the Meon valley Line. I have an excellent book called the Meon Valley Line by RA Stone, published byRunpast publishing (10 Kingscote Grove, Cheltenham, Glos, GL51 6JX), ISBN no 1 870754 36 0. It has excellent quality photographs of the line throughout its existence including track plans, timetables etc. Not sure if its available in Canada, but please contact me if you require further info assistance.

regards

Clive Hayward

1 - 5 of 5 Posts