Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bradley McMullan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again folks..
im just starting up again with the layout..as you may tell!
i have a fleet of hornby MGR wagons and i find them very irritating indeed.

derailing on points,joints and elswhere,they are the older type before the re mould.
the most troublesome are the older EWS livery wagons.
has anyone got any suggestions on how to resolve the problems with wobbly mgr wagons and how to prevent de railments..
are the newer re moulded mgr wagons a worthwhile fleet upgrade?!
cheers

·
Bradley McMullan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey,
using peco streamline flexi,
peco set track max radius outer curves
points r a mix of allsorts,some 2nd hand...all peco.#
the frogs appear to b the prob here

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I had a feeling you were not using Hornby track.

Hornby do replacement wheel sets. Try those and see if there is any improvement.

If there is not then you will need to look closely at the track.

Peco track pins are marginally higher than Hornby track pins and deep wheel flanges can bounce over the Peco pins causing a wobble. Something I notice as a collector using older rolling stock but of course may not apply in this case. Hornby track is naturally designed with Hornby rolling stock (old and new) in mind.

The gap at the point frog is tighter with Peco track and this makes it less forgiving of axles that have a certain gauge as found on older Hornby and Triang rolling stock.

Basically I cannot run my Triang stuff on Peco track, but I can on Hornby track.

So guess which track I use. If you buy older collectable kit then really you are limited to using Hornby track. Modellers knock Hornby track but the point is it is very forgiving and you can run almost anything on it built by Rovex since 1951!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have to agree with Mikeg - Softboard is possibly one of the worst boards for uneven running!

But before you rip everything up check the wagons wheel back to back measurement with a special "00" back to back gauge made for the job - They aren't to expensive around £2 - £3 each.

Push or pull each wheel set into a tight fit onto the gauge block, then retry on the layout. Hornby aren't the best at ensuring their wheel sets are at correct gauge and handling the wagons does little to help either

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm having the same probs. I have just dug out all of my old track that I collected when I was still "playing" trains. Most of it is FLEISCHMANN Modell Gleis ( Brass track.) The only prob is that I cant seem to buy any rad larger than 415mm. I will have to either get some flexi and make a template or settle for the nickel silver roco stuff.
Is the ROCO and Hornby the same ??
I can't go for the peco, as I have loads of triang stuff that I like to use.

·
Bradley McMullan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will try the wheelset option i think some ore people have recmmnd this aswell. the hornby MGR wagons are terrible they wobble so much on the springy wheelsets!
i have got a bag of lead shots aswell to weigh them down maybe that would be ok

·
Registered
487 Posts
On Peco setrack 2nd Radius curves, I find that several diesel locomotives struggle to negotiate while others as some - Hornby models are fully at home.
I have also found that coach wheels manufactured by Allan Gibson are more liable to derail on Peco points and some rail joins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts