Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Fresh back from the Wolstyn festival at the weekend i was at a freinds house yesterday and got a chance to let my newest loco stretch its legs.

Only the loco is mine and the coaches are currently for sale.

The loco is 01 101.
Its the Roco version. it has the motor in the tender driving the 6 driving wheels as well as the 2 outer wheels of the tender (the tender wheels have traction tyres) there are a few really tiny things that i am not happy with (if i had paid full price i would never have got this loco) there are no sand pipes to the wheels despite a recess in the boiler to allow for them.
The motor runs very smoothly but the cardan shaft in the cab is quite conspicuous, there is a little more slack in the loco than there is in the tender so i can actually move the tender a couple of mm without the loco moving!!
Generally i am very satisfied with it.

I now understand why people think hornby and bachmann loco's are weak!!!! my goodness can this thing pull!!!!!!

Peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Nice pics Peter & thanks for posting them.

Are they the Liliput or Trix Rheingolds ? The Trix ones really take some pulling - I have a set & they are very heavy (tinplate sides !).

I had a Roco 50 with the same drive system as your 01 - it would pull just about anything. The drive shaft was not too noticable & also no "play " as such between the loco & tender. I sold it to a friend who plagued me about it, intending to replace it later !

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Peter its a lovely machine.

I call the Roco's with tenders "4 wheel drives" (excluding the Br 57 )
Very powerful indeed.
However the cardan shaft can sometimes create problems. It did so with my Br 44 completely locking the front wheels.
Any slight unsyncronization with tender motor tends to do this. My guess is it might be due to that milimetric slack of movement between loco and tender you mention abt.
But overall they are very good in performance.

By the way yr friends layout of what I can pick up from yr photos seems quite huge.

Cheers
Baykal

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 2 May 2007, 08:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are they the Liliput or Trix Rheingolds ?
They are lilliput

QUOTE (ebaykal @ 2 May 2007, 08:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>By the way yr friends layout of what I can pick up from yr photos seems quite huge.

It is a big layout but in a small space. a train takes a good 4-5 minutes to go all the way round. and it never goes over the same piece of track twice.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Nice photos - nice loco, it looks like it's up to Roco's usual high standard.

Regards

John

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 2 May 2007, 14:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice Loco

David

... with all-metal wheels to boot!

Nice layout, btw.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 2 May 2007, 19:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... with all-metal wheels to boot!

Nice layout, btw.

Good looking model
Pity that it ran in the East and not on the DB
If it had it would be next on the shopping list behind a DB rebuilt 03.10.
Keep the pictures coming,its good to see what other modellers interests are.

David

·
Registered
461 Posts
Peter

In the first picture at the top on the left is that the spruse goose or a short sunderland flying boat?

The train looks good too.

Pete

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 3 May 2007, 07:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good looking model
Pity that it ran in the East and not on the DB
If it had it would be next on the shopping list behind a DB rebuilt 03.10.
Keep the pictures coming,its good to see what other modellers interests are.

David

David,

are you referring to the model in my signature, or the Roco rebuilt 01 in Peter´s post? Because, Peter´s engine is actually a DB 01 with the rebuilt boiler (note the stack with the smaller, "actual" smokestack in the middle of it).

Mine is a museum engine today in the Dresden Traffic Museum ("Verkehrsmuseum Dresden"), albeit it is on display only, unable to ride the rails these days.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Nice loco Peter. I love those coaches. I am hanging out for a Trix set to come up on Ebay though. I think they had interior lighting included.

I am toying with buying the Trix Class 01 at the moment. It's a nice loco.

All of my Roco locos have the shaft drive thing. It isn't readily noticeable on either of them so I don't have problem with it. It is a hassle to pick the loco up if you need to as the tender has be lifted simultaneously. I have found the detail on Roco locos to be quite good but I haven't seen the one you've got there though. Congratulation anyway. It's a good buy.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hello neil

yes i think it was a good buy. after a month of running i am very pleased with it. i think it was worth exactly what i paid for it which was in total about £130. i dont think i would have paid the full price though. i dont think it was worth the £170.

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 16 May 2007, 14:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hello neil

yes i think it was a good buy. after a month of running i am very pleased with it. i think it was worth exactly what i paid for it which was in total about £130. i dont think i would have paid the full price though. i dont think it was worth the £170.
Peter
Hi Peter,

was it new or second hand? Did you get in from the UK?

Was it this one?

Dampflok Baureihe 01, Epoche III, der DB
Price (w/o VAT): 191,18 EURO

170 quid is getting into digital sound territory. The Trix one is 279 Euro and this comes with digital sound.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 16 May 2007, 15:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i am really not an expert on these but i think thats the small boiler version. mine has the bigger boiler.

it was second hand but had never been run.

Peter
No worries, 130 quid is ok for a non decoder steam loco. Digital sound steam locos usually go for 200 quid. Looks very nice anyway Peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 16 May 2007, 04:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love those coaches. I am hanging out for a Trix set to come up on Ebay though. I think they had interior lighting included.

Hi Neil,

Yes, the Trix set do have interior lighting fitted & it operates on DC & DCC. Beware though - they have tinplate sides & must be stored in the dry otherwise they are prone to rust ! If you do see any on eBay make sure that you get the seller to confirm that they are rust free.

They look superb - the only other thing with them is the fact that they are heavy & don't roll very well, so you need a decent loco to pull them (I have a set). BTW - it's not practical to convert Marklin ones unless they are very, very cheap (unlikely of course.)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 16 May 2007, 07:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...170 quid is getting into digital sound territory. The Trix one is 279 Euro and this comes with digital sound.

Hi,

have you seen PCM´s effort in making a class 01 yet?

Here´s a link to a German AC forum where they review the PCM model - lots of pics included comparing it to the Trix.

Link to PCM class 01 review

The Precision (PCM) model is the 01 168, the Märklin (they review the 3-rail-versions, but the Trix is otherwise identical to the Märklin)is 01 147. You´d want to scroll down a bit to see the pics, and you can click on them to see them in a larger version.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts