Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made up some DG Couplings from brass frets and now need to blacken them. Unfortunately proprietory Metal Blacking liquid is not available in Dubai and I can't get any shipped out to me as it's classed as hazardous cargo.

I've looked for car rust treatment kits which I understand have the same chemical properties, but can't find those either. (I think they just throw rusty cars away in Dubai).

Does anyone know of an alternative means of blackening metal that might be available from either a supermarket or pharmacy ??

Cheers,

Expat.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 19 Jul 2008, 00:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have made up some DG Couplings from brass frets and now need to blacken them. Unfortunately proprietory Metal Blacking liquid is not available in Dubai and I can't get any shipped out to me as it's classed as hazardous cargo.

Expat.

***Ummm how much do you want :). I have it ex stock and ship it regularly.... Gun Blue will work however - phosporic won't on brass though.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 19 Jul 2008, 16:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Ummm how much do you want :). I have it ex stock and ship it regularly

Thanks for the very kind offer Richard but I have now tracked down a company in the UK who are able to ship it oversea - (at enormous cost though) i.e. Value of goods £14.14 - Shipping Charge £32.00.

That will give me 2 types of metal blacking (steel/ white metal & brass) plus Acid degreasing dip and Neutraliser.

All for some couplers which cost about 16p each.

Hey ho. Such is the price of perfection.

Thanks for all your input guys,

Trevor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts