Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am considering buying a few of the Metcalfe kits. My question is "how robust are they"?
My layout is in the loft, so it suffers from the extremes of temperature.
Has anyone used these kits in a similar environment, if so do the kits warp or delaminate etc.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Mark

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Hi,

I have several Metcalfe card kits that I stored for 18 months in my roofspace while I was bulding my new model room (fully insulated shed) and they showed no signs of warping or damage. I think the current range is as robust as any card kit can be as they use thick card formers for strength.

Rob

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have a couple which have been built about three yars and ten years. Neither have any signs of warp yet.

Regards

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (mbe60 @ 3 Mar 2008, 10:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello all.

I am considering buying a few of the Metcalfe kits. My question is "how robust are they"?
My layout is in the loft, so it suffers from the extremes of temperature.
Has anyone used these kits in a similar environment, if so do the kits warp or delaminate etc.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Mark

I think that humidity has more effect on card buildings than temperature (unless there are non cardboard components which may expand differentially -unlikely)
regards
David Y

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have used several of these kits and believe they are the strongest of all the card kits - much stronger than Superquick range.

If in any doubt simply reinforce the main frames with extra card.

Another bonus is that they are quite easy to 'bash' and can be added to and amended easily plus there are always quite a few leftover pieces of card which come in handy for other kits.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After weathering them I seal them with matt acrylic varnish. They have been on my shed layout for a year now and seem fine, only the goods shed wall bowed a little.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ben100 @ 27 Mar 2008, 16:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi I'm not sure if it's OK asking here but does anybody Know about Auhagen card kits?
Regards
Ben

They are excellent kits - the UK importer is International Models but I do not know who (if any) the French importer is.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi
I don't think there is a French importer but I can get them via the Internet or next time I'm in England
Ben

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
The kits are excellent, and should be readily available in Germany, possibly check a few of their shops out?

Regards

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been making Metcalfe kits in Thailand for over 5 years now... can't get much more humid than here. No signs of warping or even termites!!

Structures are really solid... eg I have a double span of the stone viaduct which looks as good as the day it was made.

Brian in Sunny Phuket

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (Bigdog @ 1 Apr 2008, 12:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been making Metcalfe kits in Thailand for over 5 years now... can't get much more humid than here. No signs of warping or even termites!!

Structures are really solid... eg I have a double span of the stone viaduct which looks as good as the day it was made.

Brian in Sunny Phuket

Hi Brian,

I've just built some Superquick card kits so I hope they last as long as your Metcalfe ones. I'm in hot and humid Penang.

Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
I feel the Metcalfe kits are superior to the Superquick , they are much more substancial and with the way the relief builds up in layers , end up as attractive looking. As already mentioned they are designed to be modified.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (f2paul @ 6 May 2008, 15:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I feel the Metcalfe kits are superior to the Superquick , they are much more substancial and with the way the relief builds up in layers , end up as attractive looking. As already mentioned they are designed to be modified.

I haven't seen Metcalfe kits except in magazine adverts but I intend to try one or two soon. I'm heading back to the UK on holiday later this month.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Doug you asked if anyone could show some finished metcalf kits..

Terrace houses and a modified factory

Brewery

Parcels office (part of the station buildings)

As for tips, you will find the first the hardest untill you get into the correct mindset then they will fall together.
I use UHU glue PVA doesnt stick fast enough unless you want to sit holding bits together all night. The moisture in PVA can also make the card soften.
Buy a cheap set of felt tip pens (or have a helpfull child onhand to "borrow" from) When you fold the card it opens up on the corners revealing unprinted edges, running a similar colour felt tip up the score hides this. If you wipe your finger over any unwanted felt tip on the printed surface quick enough it will come off.
The instructions tell you to spray them with a matt varnish when complete, I have never done this due to laziness and they have not warped, or faded. I do plan on spraying them though, one problem I did encounter was when I ballasted close to a card kit the diluted PVA absorned and made the colours run. Im sure the Matt varnish would have prevented this.

Hope this helps

John
RJR

·
Registered
343 Posts
Metcalfe verses downloadables (Scalescences)

I think both have there place,

The metcalfe go together quicker and ary very strong, to get that level of strength on the downloadables requires building up on thicker card or plywood which in turn requires more cutting.

I would say the metcalfe require less thinking but in turn are not as flexible as the downloads, which are more like a predrawn scratchbuild.

Downloads can be printed and used as many times as you want for one cost but you have to consider the cost of printer ink which very quickly can get used up.

The Metcalfe kits tend to be of smaller prototypes, Even the Brewery which is quite a big structure is no where near as big as the downloadable warehouse.

All in all I think you can make a decent model out of either.

As a comparisons, Here the shed and housing are metcalf. The warehouse is a scalescenes and between are some 2D photos

John
RJR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts