Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have seen this on another (rival?) forum but does anyone know when Steeple Cab electric locos were first called Steeple Cabs?

I'm asking as the normal description in London Transport enthusiast circles for the 1906 Metropolitan Railway British Westinghouse electric locos is "Camel Backs". But as someone has pointed out that more normally applies to the centre cab steam locos used on the Baltimore & Ohio, and the Met locos ought to be called Steeple Cabs. I was wondering if the Met locos are called Camel Backs simply because the name Steeple Cab hadn't yet been invented in 1906.

Can anyone shed any light on when Steeple Cab was first used to describe the layout of a centre cabbed electric loco, or can give the reason why the Met locos are called Camel Backs and not Steeple Cabs?

Keith.

·
Registered
999 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 8 Nov 2008, 21:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've heard them described as 'camels', rather than camel-backs....

No, all the standard reference works on LT and its predecessor railway companies motive power all refer to the 1906 Metropolitan Railway British Westinghouse locos as "Camel-backs".

Don't confuse this with LT rolling stock made by Cammell Laird which became Metro-Cammell.

Keith.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.