Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
If someone thinks there's money to made in creating new versions of these simulators then the franchise and key team members will be picked up and work continued on a smaller scale. The key question is how many of these things do you have to sell to get a return on the money you've spent? With the increasing sophistication of consoles - eg Playstation 3, XBox 360 - the PC only market is shrinking while at the same time the growing graphics capability requires more man hours work to exploit it.

Maybe the future for simulators of this kind is the open software route?

I would have bought Train Simulator 2 but I would have been disappointed if, as is suggested in those reports you linked to, the underlying game engine was still a generation behind the graphics capability of my current video card.

David

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I purchased the Train Sim along with one of the journey dvd's at Modelrail Scotland last year and installed it. Apart from anything else, it grabbed so much disc space that it wouldn't have lasted long anyway, but the totally counter-intuitive nature of the controls had it uninstalled in under a month with virtually nothing working properly. I'm not a particular fan of Micro$oft anyway (try doing the upgrade scale from Word 95 to 2003 and you will know why) but this is the worst bit of software I have bought for years.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Just watch the domino effect of those dependant on the sims!
I Feel sorry for the guys that lost their jobs.
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts