Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
A bit off topic I know but the latest Microsoft Explorer 7 browser update of 12th December has not been tested properly by Microsoft and may affect how websites with CSS and php function (ie websites like this!). If you have installed the update and have been affected, Microsoft suggest that you uninstall the update and turn off the automatic update function for the time being. I have been affected so I am passing the info on just in case others have and are wondering what is going on.

Having removed the update normal viewing has resumed!

I downloaded Mozilla Firefox in desperation and discovered its actually a pretty good browser!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
I have used the mozilla browser for many years but i also use the Opera Browser too - I like there memory page system!!! Also i run XP64 and seem to get updates in bit and peices definatly havent had a any problems - To be honest doesnt even seem to get viruses or anything like that. Probably because there isnt anyone out there who bothers to make them at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
is asleep
758 Posts
The trick to painless updating, whether a server or your home pc or just a piece of software is simple - wait a week for the rest of the world to do it first! If you don't hear screams of anguish down the corridor, or from a neighbours house, or on the internet in that first week after release then go ahead and update because the catastrophic bugs will have been spotted.

From experience I can safely say that installing "urgent" and "critical" updates as soon as they are released is the fastest* way of messing your computer up!

*assuming you already have virus software, a firewall, a healthy suspicion of email attachments and websites offering to install things! Otherwise one of these will definitely screw things up even faster than fully-automatic Windows Update ( though it tries as hard as it can!). In fact, I should really write it as:

Goedel's Happy Computing Checklist

If you have all of these then you are probably wondering what all the fuss is about...

1. virus software
2. firewall
3. healthy suspicion of email attachments
4. healthy suspicion of websites trying to install things in pop-ups etc.
5. healthy suspicion of Microsoft. And their updates in particular

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 18 Dec 2007, 13:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The trick to painless updating, whether a server or your home pc or just a piece of software is simple - wait a week for the rest of the world to do it first! I

Very wise too - why is there a constant rush to have the latest ?

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
firefox auto updates all the time with absoulutly no problems - I have no idea why microsoft always seem to have problems - Possibly cause they rush stuff out or maybe they do it on purpose knowing they have a hold on 70% of the computer market. I also use Linux - 64 Bit Unbuntu. Also a lot of problems are caused by norton antivirus i reccommend getting the free and brilliant AVG as this is far better and has recently won awards for being the best out there - AND ITS FREE !!!!! updates dailyto for free!!!!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 18 Dec 2007, 15:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i reccommend getting the free and brilliant AVG as this is far better and has recently won awards for being the best out there - AND ITS FREE !!!!! updates dailyto for free!!!!

Hi - have you got the URL for AVG please ?

Thanks in advance.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
I know that after my advice to people above I shouldn't confess to it but I currently use IE7!

I have used Mozilla and Firefox in the past which I thought were good but not really any better than IE. Also certain banks of an online nature only worked "flawlessly" with IE in the past so I was stuck with about three browsers on the go at the same time...useful for checking your website works on different platforms though!

Putting tabs in IE7 allows it to hold on a bit longer in the market I think, but I've finally had enough (and I suspect many other people have) of Microsoft and will be fazing it out of my life!

Throwing MS Office out of the window was highly liberating in favour of OpenOffice, next I'll be getting rid of IE7 and then finally XP when I get a new computer. There is no way I will go anywhere near Vista - how can something so big and fat and bossy ever be secure and a pleasure to use?! I'm convinced this is just an operating system for the sake of making more money without provinding anything of use other than transparent windows...erm...wow, I've already got one in every room of my house!

Oh, and the price!! If it costs $300 in America why on Earth does it cost £300 here?? Sorry, this has ended up a rant against Microsoft...but then I can't think of someone more deserving. Possibly Google - who do what Microsoft do but by stealth instead. You can't trust any of them. (Calm down Goedel - time for your trip to the typewriter museum - doctors orders...)

·
Registered
370 Posts
OK, OK, perhaps I'm just a bit slow, but I've always used Internet Explorer !!

I've tried Firefox and I like it. Just one problem, when I use Firefox, that I can't seem to fix.
The text on web pages, especially on one or two forums, seems to be thinner (less bold) and harder to read.
Is there a way to alter this

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Vista - no way but I have had no pporblems with IE7 & the recent updates - of course some pop ups get advised but they don't bother me.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I use internet explorer and Vista all the time and i have to say the views expressed buy people about vista inpaticular are just utter nonsence. its buy far the most stable platorm i have ever used. i was expecting to have to uninstall it and put in XP pro but vista has been good as gold. The new tab based IE is very good.

There are compatability issues between vista and some programmes but i havent yet found one that wont work through compatability wizzard or an emulator.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Microsoft have issued an update and things are now as they should be. I have taken the advice onboard to disable auto install and wait a few days before installing future patches.

The comments above about Firefox are accurate in that key websites (for me) do display differently and the fonts seem less clear in my monitor than when using Explorer. And the bottom line is 80% of my visitors use Explorer according to stats so from a that point of view it makes sense to use what most vistors use so that I see what most vistors see. In saying that it is gratifying to learn that visitors who use Firefox are capable of making decisions also!

I too am an Open Office user and it works fine for me and its free!

Good luck with whatever software you choose to use!

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts