Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I am about to start (after my gcses probably ) on the construction of a Depot , probably the midland mainline to use excessive numbers of a peaks and 40s
. Any way i was wondering if any body had any photos from the 70s/80s of depots along the midland mainline , I my base the layout on a depot , or make a fictious one.

Regards Nathan Rodgers

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
At the lower end of the Midland main line there was a very small fueling area just outside St Pancras. Then there was Cricklewood. This was used for locos and DMUs until around electrification. The next depot further north was Bedford - in this case I am not certain how far beyond the end of steam the shed was used for diesel locos, if at all. I know little about the line North of Bedford as I did not use that part.
Regards,
John Webb
PS Best Wishes for the GCSEs!

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you are thinking major depot then there would be mostly 45's and 46's 40's were not too common on the midland main line mostly ECML and WCML and the pennine routes if you are going for a depot supplying locos mainly for freight then class 20's 25's 45's and 47's would have been the main allocation plus 08's and visiting locos would probably include 31's and 37's from the Eastern region

The further North the depot then the more likely to get the odd class 40 and a few more 31's and 37's and if you modelled it in the sheffield area then class 13's 76's would be in evidence

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have to agree with Bangerblueed,

you wouldn't find many 40's on the Midland main line. 45's and 46's certainly, all variants of the class 25, the occasional 33, 47's and the ubiquitous class 20's and of course 08's.

The only way to be certain is to find photos and decide. Don't forget as well that if you went to Derby in the mid 70's you could see all manner of strange vehicles, including classes 17, 23, 35, and 42.

I hope you find some of the above useful.

Regards

John

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There is a Video125 Driver's view along the Midland Mainline, I think from the late 1970s. I know I've got a copy lurking somewhere but cannot find it at the moment. This has a number of views of other locos and glimpses of some of the depots, which you may find of use.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Power of the Peaks may be a worthwhile investment.

Regards

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 6 Mar 2007, 17:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Power of the Peaks may be a worthwhile investment.

Regards

John
Thanks Guys

sorry about the mistake,
Ill probably stick with the Midland Mainline idea if i can get away with 33s. As 40s im not bothered about much.

What about 44s ?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Nathan Rodgers @ 7 Mar 2007, 18:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What about 44s ?

Only ten were built, D1 to D10 and all named after British Mountain Peaks (hence the class name) They finished their days working freight out of Toton yard. They were withdrawn long before the 45's and 46's.

Regards

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 8 Mar 2007, 09:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only ten were built, D1 to D10 and all named after British Mountain Peaks (hence the class name) They finished their days working freight out of Toton yard. They were withdrawn long before the 45's and 46's.

Regards

John

Ok , the problem im facing , is having to use Peaks, Deltics, 40s. I think ill go for a depot , which can one day be the MML then the next ECML ,without any outstanding features ,forcing it to be either, so ficitious it is .

Ta.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Nathan Rodgers @ 13 Mar 2007, 15:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok , the problem im facing , is having to use Peaks, Deltics, 40s. I think ill go for a depot , which can one day be the MML then the next ECML ,without any outstanding features ,forcing it to be either, so ficitious it is .

Ta.

If you bring Deltics into the equation then I would favour a depot around the York area, Peaks ran across to York on a fairly regular basis, frequently operating the northeast - southwest corridor (cross country). 40s were very common around York and it also brings in the joy of the odd steamer on "specials".

Keep thinking - the idea's taking shape.

Regards

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 13 Mar 2007, 16:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you bring Deltics into the equation then I would favour a depot around the York area, Peaks ran across to York on a fairly regular basis, frequently operating the northeast - southwest corridor (cross country). 40s were very common around York and it also brings in the joy of the odd steamer on "specials".

Keep thinking - the idea's taking shape.

Regards

John
mmm , Ta very much.
When you say peaks , which classes of peak.
Sorry about asking stupid questions, i just want to get stuff correct before I spend the dosh.

Regards Nathan

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Nathan Rodgers @ 13 Mar 2007, 16:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>mmm , Ta very much.
When you say peaks , which classes of peak.
Sorry about asking stupid questions, i just want to get stuff correct before I spend the dosh.

Regards Nathan

I seem to remember it was a roughly even mix of 45s and 46s

Regards

John

·
Registered
763 Posts
Given the mix , somewhere near Sheffield might be worth a thought

Mind you Tinsley was a big depot. The LMR policy was to go for mega-depots

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 13 Mar 2007, 17:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Given the mix , somewhere near Sheffield might be worth a thought

Mind you Tinsley was a big depot. The LMR policy was to go for mega-depots

Another good thought there, and brings in the need for freight workings.

Regards

John

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Re the video of the Midland Mainline - details in my post above were slightly inaccurate, now that I've found it!
It is a Transport Video Publishing production "Vintage Cab Ride 1971", and is in two parts. Part 1 is from St Pancras to Market Harborough (100mins) and Part 2 from Market Harborough to Sheffield (110mins).
It is only available on VHS, apparently. Available from either www.transportvideo.com or from The Signal Box in Anstey, Leicester - e-mail [email protected] (no web-site, it seems).

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can I suggest Leicester as a possibility. During the 1970s and 80s Peaks were the mainstay for express haulage, on mark 1 or mark 2 stock, with the odd 47. The depot stabled classes 08, 20, 24, 25, 31, 45 and 47. Sometimes we'd get visiting class 37s and 40s.

First generation DMUs on Peterborough and Birmingham access, with 31/4 on Norwich to Birmingham trains.

Also, plenty of test trains from Derby including APT-E.

The backscene is a high embankment and retaining wall with Hutchinson Walk "The Birdcage" running from Swain Street through to Hutchinson Street.

I'd model it myself if I had the space.

Chip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts