Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
What absolutely shocked me is the cost of the HST power car sets, £362 for basically a diesel Loco and a coach! They really are TTP out of us for that one.
It's great to see some diesel offerings in the Railroad range, and those prices don't seem too bad, a tad on the high side but retailer prices may bring that down a little. Its also great to see a few new liveries of the class 50 (personal favourite) but retailing @ £200, Wayy to much for me thanks. And the HST sets too. I paid £60 for an old Hornby set with track in Swallow IC, granted the coaches are too short and the wheels are silver seal not the nice brown that Lima brought to the table (always prefered Lima diesels in the day). If I get time I may consider buying an old set and repainting to LSL Midland Pullman livery, thats the only one I'd have, but for £300 plus for the loco and dummy, I'll re-paint an old one myself thanks!

I understand the need to make a profit, but with soo many returning to the hobby, demand has to be there, I suppose the railroad range fulfils the lower end volume products with smaller margin, so its good to see more in this range. On that note I picked up a Cock-O-The North RR P2, brand new off Amazon for £83 all in. I think they still have them, must be old stock, but I'm really not complaining at that price. Couldn't resist.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I am finding the Hornby situation quite a mixed bag; with my Hornby CC discount I can get locos shipped here to France for the same price as the retailers would charge nett. But it only applies to Hornby products ie not Jouef or Rivarossi which I find odd. Then you have the RR range which is now the same price as when I bought the locos back in the day on release ie your P2 is a good example

I am missing the IC version of the HST but have the first release with ringfield motor so will be buying the upgrade kit and lighting from Ebay for about £25, plus a couple of Lima 225 sets which are still MIB

Its coming back to basics and searching for bargains again and I will be saving my money for the Coronation coach sets

Cheers

I understand the need to make a profit, but with soo many returning to the hobby, demand has to be there, I suppose the railroad range fulfils the lower end volume products with smaller margin, so its good to see more in this range. On that note I picked up a Cock-O-The North RR P2, brand new off Amazon for £83 all in. I think they still have them, must be old stock, but I'm really not complaining at that price. Couldn't resist.

·
In depth idiot
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
...I understand the need to make a profit, but with so many returning to the hobby, demand has to be there, I suppose the railroad range fulfils the lower end volume products with smaller margin, so its good to see more in this range...
Hornby (and Bachmann) have both seen what sort of demand is 'out there' over the past decade, with regular post-sale trading of their new introductions at prices well above original retail; and on the evidence of their current programmes have decided that there is a sector of the market that will bear a higher price if the product is superior, and are out to obtain the resultant profit for their business.

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
Well the Black 5 is of interest I may have 4/5 of these selling off older ones, the streamlined W1 and P2, and a look at the 9F but after that not so much, meanwhile I like the Sonic A5, the N7 from Oxford (Hornby anyway) when a suitable model hoves into sight, the Bachmann V2 (will have 2 of those to replace 2 older ones) so there is a bit to go at plus Bachmans OO9 are excellent and I see me buying probably 2 more.
So altogether that is 15 models to buy and about the same to sell but with the prices between £150 and £200 typically this is over £2000 for sure even closer to £3,000 and there lies the bother, this is a bit rich so I'll have to see what comes along when I have some funds, makes me wonder how much I have spent in the last 20 years as well as having a huge railway from dad, sundry sales of locos has funded a lot of the newer stock but as this gets better it is harder to fund

Oh 'eck!

·
Administrator
9,995 Posts
makes me wonder how much I have spent
I had this reality check with Hornby's 2020 announcements. So definitely no APT, but Covid and Hornby's 'retail supply tuning' also played a part.
Now new models must fit into some kind of plan and not just be something I think looks nice or interesting.

David

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had this reality check with Hornby's 2020 announcements. So definitely no APT, but Covid and Hornby's 'retail supply tuning' also played a part.
Now new models must fit into some kind of plan and not just be something I think looks nice or interesting.

David
Oddly I’ll still buy something that just takes my fancy rather than a particular period/area…..only rule one on my layout, but the recent Hornby price rises and announcements really have made me think before I click, I would have loved the new APT to sit alongside my original APT but instead I bought (at slight discount!) just the new NDM motored coach which I will slightly adjust the colour to match the original, or maybe I won’t and just run it in the different colour, I don’t really car that much I just like the look of the model, but I would never contemplate buying the new APT especially not with all the common failures being reported in other forums.

I might even buy a Black 5 with the new smoke effect, not because I particularly like the Loco but I think Hornby really have caught the market with a very good development in smoke effect, it actually looks very good and to me a steamer with no steam almost (but not completely) spoils the image. If only they could fit the same mechanism in the smaller steam locos rather than only the main line stuff, I know the limitations must be almost insurmountable but I continue to hope. Maybe another manufacturer will take up the mantle with water vapour smoke effect.

Reactions: Julian2011

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
Well I went to the Buckfastleigh shop on Saturday and forked out £199 (it hurts to say it) for another Double Fairlee Marydinn. Emrys or something similar, a bit cheaper than the others but it has no cab roof after all. That said this is a fine loco and the other one I have has been truly excellent

21 - 30 of 30 Posts