Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Does anybody know where I can get any military vehicles ready made or easy kits to produce in 00 gauge as I am going to be modeling an army train carrying either Armoured Personnel Carriers or similar vehicles but not tanks. If anyody can help I would be grateful.

Thanks

Alistair

·
Registered
303 Posts
Alistair,

There is a lot of choice, but you will have to specify your period.

There used to be lots of 1:72nd scale army vehicles in the Airfix range. Have a look for these.

American Jeeps by Cararama are a snip at about £1.00 each.

Colombo

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>military vehicles ready made or easy kits to produce in 00 gauge
Shame you want OO, for HO you could start with Roco, I think that's how the company started - making model tanks.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Does anybody know where I can get any military vehicles ready made

If it's OO you want then your really stuck with what Airfix might have.

Roco do a good range of miltary vehicles but they're HO.

Corgi do 1/72 tanks and so on but they are die cast metal.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
if you are going to put them on warflats and well cars then i would seriously concider using the HO roco models. even on a uk layout. tanks are big pieces of kit and you may well have problems with platforms and tunnels. just like they do in real life.
The warrior armoured vehicle has to have an extra platform built ontop of the wagon to the tracks sit above platform height.
I know some people have hang ups about mixing HO and OO but really sometimes it just makes life easier and sometimes it even looks better even if its not prototypical. (the daftest comment i ever saw was someone complaining that there were no OO people but plenty of HO ones. since when were people all the same size!!?? use HO N and OO people all on the same layout. it will still look just fine)

When i was at uni my room overlooked the line at southampton station and i remember being kept up all night buy endless military trains being toaken down to marchwood ready for iraq. i was at the top of a 5 story building and those heavy wagons really made the whole building swing!

Peter

·
Registered
174 Posts
This months Rail Express mag has a spread on Military trains and formations and also where to get some of the vehicles.

Darren

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE P.S. yipee i am an engine driver!!!!!!

Congratulations Peter

It's a shame that there wasn't more UK out line with this type of stuff. Roco do quite a good range of this stuff and Lilliput also have a few good WW2 items. Maybe Hornby could use some of their Airfix stuff they've bought to knock up some military transport items.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I can only endorse what others are saying, go for the Roco Minitanks, I know they do M113 personnel carriers, and being Roco you can also get military vehicles on appropriate wagons. You might be able to get some at The Hobby Shop, Faversham. www.hobb-e-mail.com

Regards

John.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
There was an exhibitor at the Warley Show who had a military layout just like the one you want to build.

I asked the layout operator where he got his personel carriers from.

He said the best source in the UK for white metal military kits is Cromwell Models.

Enter "Cromwell Models" into a UK google search and all will be revealed.

They do exactly what you want in 1:76 scale.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 4 Dec 2006, 20:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There was an exhibitor at the Warley Show who had a military layout just like the one you want to build.

I asked the layout operator where he got his personel carriers from.

He said the best source in the UK for white metal military kits is Cromwell Models.

Enter "Cromwell Models" into a UK google search and all will be revealed.

They do exactly what you want in 1:76 scale.

Happy modelling
Gary

Jesus,

I have just gone back to 1991 with all the stuff he has. I think a few 432's will be winging there way to me. I served in the first Gulf war and the stuff he has is very very good. Brings back some memories.

Thanks for the info Gary.

Darren

·
Registered
58 Posts
A good company cauld jb modals do all periods o army stuff ie land rovers of all types 432s the best one is the huglands iv built two so far. Thay have ads in the arv magazine look in whsmiths youl find one there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As said before JB Models do an excellent range of post 1945 British Miltary Vechicles

Have built several of them, find them simple but better than the old Airfix

Finding them hard to get hold of now, I think they are still going

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Bit after the last posts, but while visiting the SW Herts MRC show today (12th May 07) came across this firm selling mostly WW2 stuff in 2mm and 4mm scales plus a very few modern items. Also a few 3mm and 7mm items.
www.gramodels.co.uk run by Graham Baker and based near Watford.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I haven't come across any [reasonable] models of current/recent use military vehicles.

I refer particularly to logistics vehicles, rather than armour.

For the past 15/20 years the military have utilised DROPS systems...ie demountable rack off-loading and Pickup systems.

The DROPS MMLC [15 tonne} 8 wheelers (LeyDAF) or even the Foden IMMLC is nowadays a vital logistics military vehicle...more so than any other.
Just take a look at any newsreel footage of military establishments in Iraq, and DROPS is all over the place.

One of the aspects of DROPS is the Simple Rail Transfer Equipment...or SRTE.

Over the years, this has taken the form of either an artic-mounted unit, or a unit built to be mounted on the back of a DROPS MMLC.

The kit is designed to lift loaded flatracks (the demountable loadbeds) off flatcars, and transfer them to the ground, for a DROPS vehicle to back onto and pickup.
They 'look' a bit like huge ship's lifeboat davits.

Container-handling plant is also used..right up to huge 80 tonne Kalmars....paint them green, and have several in bits, broken down!
So military rail loads could be flatracks...[with vehicles secured on them?] or containers?

we have containers readily available......but what of the racks?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts