Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably not the correct place to put this, but wasn't sure where else, so here goes.

I have been studying Brian Lambert's helpful Electrical Bits page http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical-2.htm and have been trying to get my head around how I might set up an indicator panel using LEDs that can tell me how my 3-way points are set. I think I can get my head around the diagram for the two way popints, but there is not one for a 3-way point, although there is a mention that it can be done for a 3-way.

Electronics was never my strong point, does anyone have any clues, or know anyone that might??!!

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I'm currently wiring up a control panel with LED's that show which tracks a turnout is leading to. Are you going to use track voltage to light them? If so, here is a not very technical way to do it. First check that you have an appropriate resistor in series with the LED. Then connect one by flying leads to the track. If it lights (or not) as you wish then connect it permenently to the same places via soldered wires.

If you are not going to use track voltage then you'll need to wait for someone else to give you a better answer.
Good luck anyway, Robert.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Are you using Peco track? Because there's a difference between code 100 and code 75 3-way points. The code 100 is a proper 3-way, but the code 75 is an asymmetric one which means it's just a RH and a LH point partially overlaid on each other. I have two of the code 75 ones and, although I'm DCC with a computer, I just represent the two points as separate ones on the computer display. Same could apply for a mimic diagram. I also show double slips as two separate points, as a slip is also just two overlaid points. Much easier to work out which point to switch when they're displayed like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (RFS @ 27 Feb 2009, 17:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you using Peco track? Because there's a difference between code 100 and code 75 3-way points. The code 100 is a proper 3-way, but the code 75 is an asymmetric one which means it's just a RH and a LH point partially overlaid on each other. I have two of the code 75 ones and, although I'm DCC with a computer, I just represent the two points as separate ones on the computer display. Same could apply for a mimic diagram. I also show double slips as two separate points, as a slip is also just two overlaid points. Much easier to work out which point to switch when they're displayed like that.

I think that has helped me get it straight in my mind now! Treat it as two points, even 'though it is Peco code 100. The mimic wiring will be independent of the track wiring (which I have done for a code 100 as far as power and frogs are concerned). The feed for the indicator microswitches is from the 12V "bus".

Thanks!!

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Simon, this is a not very good diagram of how I represent a three way, a double slip and a cross over (all Peco 100) on my mimic panel.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.